courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Stay Physically Active at Conn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

I have been told by some adament anti-stitting activits that “sitting is the new smoking”. While I was recently scrolling through popular Ted Talks on YouTube, one particular title jumped out at me: “Why Sitting Down Destroys You.” While I don’t think we have to be so extreme as to scare people into never sitting down, I do think we could all benefit from striking a balance. With all the classes, coursework, meetings, lectures and panels that college brings, it can be difficult to balance fulfilling our obligations and moving our bodies. The movement does not have to be strenuous for it to be beneficial, but some people may need some suggestions for creative movement opportunities. That’s why I’ve compiled a list of simple and fun ways to move at Connecticut College.

1. Sign up for a class in the Dance Department: Some of our favorites are Hip Hop, Intro to Dance: Movers and Shakers, and West African. The Dance Department offers Yoga and Pilates too!

2. Sign up for a class in the Physical Education Department: This department has it all: golf, swimming, sailing, horseback riding, tennis, skating, rock climbing, rowing, running, and fitness classes. You’re bound to find something new to try!

3. Join a club sport: As a member of Women’s Club Soccer since my first year at Conn, this one is a personal favorite of mine. Club sports are a great way to get involved, meet new people, and move in a fun way. Conn offers many, including soccer, rugby, figure skating, and volleyball, among others!

4. C​heck out the MixxedFit classes, which are new to Conn this year: Led by Meghan Thompson and Caitlin Kay from the REAL office, these classes include great music and energy. The classes are 6-7pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays and 10:30am on Saturdays on the second floor of Cro. Gather some friends or go solo; either way it’ll be a good time!

5. Walk around campus while talking to family or friends on the phone: This is a great way to catch up with friends and family while enjoying the beauty of Conn’s Campus. Some of my favorite spots for walking and talking are around Tempel Green and in the arbo.

6. Organize group or partner workouts: Bored easily? Get a group of friends to workout with you to mix socializing and movement! There can be a leader who organizes workouts (runs, circuits, classes) each week, or group members can take turns organizing the activity. This is a great option when you like to switch up how you move each week but also need some motivation or new ideas.

7. Take a trip to the AC: Some people love working out in a typical gym setting, while others hate it. I think the motto “Don’t knock it until you try it” applies here. Even if the thought of moving your limbs in circles with no change of scenery sounds revolting, give it a chance! Make an awesome playlist, and go with an open mind. See if there is a machine you haven’t tried before and give it a whirl. If crowds aren’t your thing, head to the second floor and try to go at a time when it’s not too busy (during regular academic hours, late at night, and early on weekend days).

8. Explore off campus: If you (or a friend) have a car, check out Harkness Memorial State Park and Bluff Point State Park, among many other beautiful, pedestrian-friendly places near Conn. A great app for discovering new places near you is AllTrails, but make sure you play it safe by going with a friend or going to a well-populated area.

Have fun!

Carolyn Cross is a junior at Connecticut College and is excited to be the Campus Correspondent for the fall! She is a Sociology major and a Psychology minor. She also plays club soccer and is in Habitat for Humanity at Conn.