Harris Hacks: 8 DIY recipes for the collegiate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Are you bored with the daily menus and tired of eating the same foods at every meal? Well you’re in luck! Below are 8 of the easiest and tastiest meals you can make right in your own cafeteria. From savory main courses to tasty snacks and desserts, these dishes are sure to delight your taste buds and spice up your usual meal routine!

Bruschetta

Ingredients:

Tomatoes from salad bar

Dried basil from salad bar

Oil from salad bar

Ciabatta roll

Directions: First, find a ciabatta roll or any hearty bread and slice it into pieces; toast until nice and crispy golden. On a separate plate dice tomatoes and add a dash of basil. Mix with a few tablespoons of oil and a dash of vinegar. Top the toasted pieces of bread with the tomato mixture and you have an appetizer straight out of an Italian restaurant.

*Hint- If you want to add a Mediterranean twist top with feta cheese from the salad bar. Enjoy!

Lemon Chicken with Spinach

Ingredients:

Grilled chicken

Spinach from salad bar

Lemons from soda station

Oil

Directions: Place spinach in a microwaveable bowl and fill 2/3rds of the way with water. Microwave for about 2 min or until water is boiling and the spinach is steamed. Remove from microwave with caution, glass bowl will be VERY HOT!!! In another bowl squeeze 6-8 lemon slices, add oil, and microwave 45 sec. Place the spinach on the chicken and top with the lemon sauce.

*Hint- If you are of age, 21 and older add a little white wine to the lemon sauce and make a nice reduction!

Buffalo Chicken Wrap

Ingredients:

Tortilla/Wrap 

Grilled chicken

Lettuce

Blue cheese

Hot sauce

Celery

1 wrap

Directions: Slice grilled chicken breasts and place on wrap with lettuce. In a small bowl combine blue cheese and 1 tablespoon of hot sauce. Pour sauce onto chicken, roll and fold up wrap. Add celery on the side and enjoy!

Deviled Eggs

Ingredients:

Hard Boiled eggs

Mayonnaise

Salt/ Pepper

Vinegar

Paprika

Mustard

Directions: Peel hard boiled eggs and cut in half, scoop out the yolk, then set yolk aside in bowl. Add to yolk 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise or just enough to mix into a smooth consistency. Add a drop each of mustard and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Scoop back into the egg shell and season with paprika.

Taco Salad (vegetarian)

Ingredients:

Romaine lettuce

Tomatoes

Salsa

Shredded cheese

Tortilla chips

Sour cream

Directions: Combine all ingredients on a bed of lettuce and enjoy a healthy and fun salad!

Fra Diavolo Tomato Sauce

Ingredients:

Marinara Sauce

Dried Basil

Dried Oregano

Oil

Red Pepper

Pasta of choice

Directions: In a small bowl combine the marinara sauce, basil, oregano, red pepper, 1 tbsp of oil, and just a dash of red pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Cook in the microwave for 2 minutes. Add the sauce to your favorite pasta and you have a spiced up version of a simple meal.

*Hint- add that nights fish/ meat for a little protein and extra flavor!

Auntie Ann’s Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients:

Potatoes from dinner bar

Sour Cream

Garlic Power

Cheddar Cheese

Dash of Dill

Directions: Depending whether the potatoes are already mashed, mash up to a smooth consistency. Add a dollop of sour cream, sprinkle of garlic powder, and dill. Mix together evenly. Top with cheddar cheese from the salad bar. Microwave for 1 min and you have yourself, a cheesy and delicious mess of a potato.

Bon appetite!

Root Beer Float

Ingredients:

Vanilla soft serve

Root Beer

Directions: Add ½ cup of ice cream and fill to the top with root beer. This simple treat is a little extra something after a long meal!

Her Campus Conn Coll