This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Class registration is upon us! Our HC writers compiled a list of the best classes they have taken at Connecticut College to help you figure out what to take! 

ENG 128 and ENG 356

“One of my favorite English courses I have taken at Connecticut College is English 128: Food Reading and Writing taught by Professor Jessica Soffer. Unfortunately, this course is not being offered next semester as Professor Soffer is on maternity leave. However, my English major advisor is teaching an upper-level course called English 356: Radical Diets: Food/Drink American Lit. While this course is not open to freshmen and recommends that interested students have already taken English 150 and English 250 (prerequisites to the major), I strongly encourage English majors to take this opportunity to take a course with the wonderful Professor Michelle Neely. Who wouldn’t want to talk temperance, culinary nationalism, and the aesthetics of representing food in literature with your fellow camels? Food may even be involved. If, however, this intimidates you (those gosh darn English majors with their analogies and metaphors), I would recommend that you keep an eye out for Soffer’s class in the future. I can promise you that delicious food will be involved.” – Elizabeth ‘21

GWS 200C

“If you’ve always wanted to (or need to!) take a Mode A Creative Expression class, but are unsure where to start, look no further than GWS 200C: Writing the Self. The class is taught by Professor Summar West, who has her MFA in writing and also works in the ARC. She is also one of the kindest people I have ever met, and she really helped me grow as a writer in this class. Throughout the semester, you’ll read works of creative writing by authors such as Natasha Trethewey, Mark Doty, and Alison Bechdel. Additionally, you will work on your own creative nonfiction, poetry, short stories, and lyric essays, and examine how to use your writing to express yourself. By the end of the semester, you will have a portfolio filled with creative writing pieces and an increased knowledge of how writing can be used to explore identity and enact social justice.”  – Sara ‘20

GOV 111

“I really liked the GOV 111: U.S Government and Politics course with Professor Borrelli. I always found the branches of government difficult to learn. Professor Borrelli made it so easy to comprehend. I feel like I learned more about government in this course than in all of my K-12 schooling. This course offered the fundamentals that I needed to be confident when discussing politics. I highly recommend the course, and more importantly, the professor.” – Viangely ‘20

SOC 208/GWS 209

“I’m a sociology major, and I’ve loved every class I’ve taken in the department. I highly recommend that any Conn student take a sociology class before they graduate, and you can’t really go wrong with any of them. SOC 208/GWS 209: Race, Gender, and the Mass Media is an especially fun and engaging class in which you will critically examine and analyze how people of marginalized identities are portrayed in the media and how these stereotypical representations came to be. The coursework may feel a bit demanding because the papers are worth a large chunk of your grade, but the readings are super palatable and relevant. This class might ruin your fave TV shows, but it’s worth it!” – Samantha ‘21

TH/GWS 199

“Take Theater and Flim Through the AIDS Epidemic with Professor Anderson. This was the most transformative course that I have taken at Connecticut College. We study the plays and movies that impacted the AIDS activism movement and learn how the art we consume impacts our perspectives on world events. This course is inherently interdisciplinary, we had students who studied film, theater, medicine, history, the list goes on. Go on and take it!” – Hanna ‘20

Elizabeth Berry

Conn Coll '21

Elizabeth Berry is an English and Italian Studies double major at Connecticut College with a passion for journalism. She enjoys overnight oats, traveling to new cities, and reading the night away.
Viangely Asencio

Conn Coll '20

A senior at Connecticut College from Miami. Triple majoring in Sociology, Government, and Italian Studies. Competitive eater and part-time pianist. Passionate about topics in race and ethnicity and The Simpsons.
Samantha is a senior at Connecticut College, double-majoring in Sociology and Economics. She is currently the Beauty Section Editor and a National Writer for Her Campus, having prior been a Beauty Editorial Intern during the summer of 2019. She is also a writer and Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Conn Coll. She is passionate about intersectional feminism, puns, and sitcoms with strong female leads.
Her Campus Conn Coll