This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

1. Form good study habits now, before the real work starts

Although syllabus week is coming to an end for most college students, you probably aren’t ready to get back to the grind of real school work. The first few weeks tend to be a bit easier, but don’t let the first round of exams and papers catch you by surprise! Unless you’ve spent the summer in school, you’re study skills are probably a little rusty. Now’s the time to form good study habits that will last serve you well all semester long! Test out a few different study spaces on campus and find what works best for you. Try to study during the time of day when you are most productive and save the rest of your day for less-important (or more fun) activities.

2. Get involved!

Even if you’re a returning student, be sure to check out your school’s activity fair and check out any new clubs that might interest you. This can be a great way to expand your friend group and meet people you might not get to know otherwise. Not to mention that it will make your college experience much more well-rounded! And if you hate the gym as much as I do, consider checking out a club or intramural athletics team. This can be a great, FUN way to get some exercise while also hanging out with your friends. Plus, most of these teams welcome novices with open arms! Just make sure that you don’t sign up for too many activities and save some time for yourself!

3. Get enough sleep

We all know that the school year just gets more and more stressful as time goes by, so make sure that you are well-rested now. That way, you will be better able to handle those inevitable all-nighters later in the semester!

4. Have fun catching up with all your friends!

Sure, class work is important, but so are your friends. After an entire summer apart, make sure to allow plenty of time for hanging out and having fun. After all, that’s what college is all about, isn’t it?

Ann Monk is a sophomore from Seattle, WA, studying International Relations, Global Islamic Studies, and Arabic at Connecticut College. She hopes to eventually work on education policy for refugees who have been resettled in Europe, but in the mean time, she is busy playing soccer, traveling, eating Indian food, and of course, writing for Her!
Her Campus Conn Coll