The 6 Best Things To Do On Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Has your family ever wondered, “what could we do to make this Thanksgiving even BETTER?” Maybe your family figured it out a long time ago and has a blast every year. Or, maybe you won’t even be with family, but instead with friends! No matter the size or kind of the company this year, here are our top five favorite things to do on Thanksgiving to make the most out of the day:

1. Dress up! As college students, we rarely get the opportunity to have a fancy sit-down meal. Even if your family/friends love to goof off at the table, it’s always fun to add some class with what you wear. You can even dress in holiday and seasonal colors, such as greens, oranges, browns, and reds. Have fun with it, and take some cute Thanksgiving pictures that could be perfect for your Holiday card!

2. Run the Turkey Trot! Most towns host the annual Turkey Trot on the morning of Thanksgiving. It’s a great way for you and your family and friends to get some pre-feast exercise while contributing to a great cause. You don’t even need to run…This race accepts all variations of moving!

3. Help cook the feast! Ask whomever’s in charge if you can take over a dish. If he/she isn’t an old-fashioned stickler, they might even say you can add your own flare to it! Flip through some old cookbooks and find a recipe that looks especially scrumptious. Make suggestions, take orders, dash some spices, mash some potatoes, and help however you can! By doing this you are spending quality time your family and friends, and the meal will mean that much more to you! After all, the preparation is just as important as the eating.

4. If you have little cousins, make a craft table for them! This is a great way to keep the little ones entertained and for you to do something fun and meaningful with them. You can teach them how to make turkey hands or even encourage them to collect pinecones and leaves from outside to make something original. All you need is construction paper, glue, scissors, and anything else you think would be a festive addition!

5. Play games! Spark conversation at the table by setting a piece of paper with a  question at each plate. For example, “What celebrity would you most want to meet and why,” or “What would you do with a million dollars?” Everyone at the table answers and everyone else can chime in. You might even learn something new about your relatives! Another great game to play at the table is the “Who am I?” game or as this website calls it, “The Sticky Head Game.” Try to guess what famous name is on your forehead, and laugh at everyone else who is trying to guess his or hers!

6. Make a fire! There is nothing better than warm, crackling flames in the fireplace on Thanksgiving. It’ll draw everyone near and will keep everyone warm. It is also nice to have burning while Dad streams football on the TV!

I am a sophomore at Conn Coll, and am from Maine (I've lived there my whole life). I love to dance, sing, draw/paint, and just have fun! I have an obsession with grapefruit and bacon egg and cheeses. I also love lipstick and nail polish (and am currently trying to add on to my array of colors). Basically, I am just a 19-year-old girl who is trying to make the most of her four years at Conn by indulging in what makes her happy. 
Her Campus Conn Coll