This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

The temperature is dropping rapidly, leaves are falling, and it’s the perfect time to bake some yummy treats with a cup of tea and lovely music. Grab a comfy sweater and enjoy these easy and delightful baked goods for autumn!

Pumpkin Bread:

Pumpkin bread is incredibly easy to make and leaves the kitchen smelling of two scrumptious pumpkin loaves. This moist and flavorful treat is a necessity for fall!

Ingredients:

1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree

4 eggs

1 cup vegetable oil

⅔ cup water

3 cups white sugar

3 ½ cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 ½ teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

½ teaspoon ground cloves

½ teaspoon ground ginger

Directions:

1. Start by preheating the oven to 350°F, or 175°C. Grease and flour two large loaf pans.
  2. In a large bowl, mix the pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water, and sugar until well combined.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger.
  4. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin concoction and pour into the prepared pans. 
  5. Bake for about 55 minutes until a toothpick (or an uncooked piece of spaghetti) inserted into the center comes out clean.

Now you have two delectable pumpkin breads for you and a friend!

Bakewell Tart

A Bakewell Tart is a heavenly English dessert that I was introduced to by my mum. I grew up watching my mum bake them every weekend, and now I love to bake (and eat) them as well! 

Ingredients:

Homemade or store-bought shortcrust pastry. Instructions for making shortcrust pastry can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/MR-bqWNzzBQ. But either works!

Ingredients for pastry:

• 150 grams all-purpose flour
  • 75 grams butter
  • A pinch of salt
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tbsp cold water

Ingredients for tart:

• Jam or lemon curd
  • 4 ounces butter
  • 4 ounces caster sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 6 ounces ground almonds
  • Splash of milk
  • Flaked almonds

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400°F, or 200°C.
  2. Grease a 9-inch pie dish and line with shortcrust pastry.
  3. Place jam (any flavor!) or lemon curd on the pastry. Do not fill to the edge.
  4. To make the rest of the filling:
    1. Cream together the butter and sugar. 
    2. Beat in eggs until the mixture feels light.
    3. Add ground almonds and a splash of milk if necessary.
  5. Put the almond mixture on top of the jam.
  6. Spread carefully without ripping the pastry and sprinkle flaked almonds on the top.
  7. Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes until golden brown.

PHOTO 2023 11 03 11 26 25PHOTO 2023 11 03 11 26 32PHOTO 2023 11 03 11 26 46PHOTO 2023 11 03 11 28 42PHOTO 2023 11 03 11 29 21PHOTO 2023 11 03 11 30 03 1PHOTO 2023 11 03 16 05 33PHOTO 2023 11 03 12 08 27

This tart is perfect for any occasion and everyone loves it!

Credits to my mum for the photos!

Apple Crumble (gluten-free!)

The apple crumble is another one of my family’s favorites! This dish is perfect for the fall since apples are in season! 

Ingredients:

Six apples

¼ cup water

1 ½ cup almond flour 

½ cup butter

½ cup white sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)

Ice cream or evaporated milk (optional)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400°F, or 200°C.
  2. Peel and chop apples. Cook them in water for about 15 minutes until soft.
  3. Crumble topping:
    1. Rub almond flour and butter together until crumbly, then add sugar. 
    2. Add cinnamon!
  4. Place cooked apples in an ovenproof dish or pie plate. 
  5. Put crumble topping mix over the apple, covering it completely, but don’t pat it down!
  6. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until you see some apples bubbling up around the edges. 

Now you have a tasty and warm apple crumble for autumn! I love to add some vanilla ice cream or evaporated milk (my family calls it eva-porated milk because of my name!). 

These treats are perfect for when you’re snuggled up in cozy pajamas while watching a film during the colder months!

Eva Rausch

Conn Coll '27

My name is Eva (she/her) and I am a freshman at Connecticut College! I am interested in majoring in gender, sexuality, and intersectionality studies, classics, anthropology, or english. I am also curious about pursuing the Museum Studies Certificate Program at Conn. I am an avid reader and baker. I also love to crochet and sew!