3 Small Ways to Make Yourself Happier in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

1. Change your wallpaper to something that makes you smile.   

Is your phone or computer wallpaper your class schedule, work schedule, or to-do list? You don’t want to be stressed out every time you unlock your phone or open your computer.  Change your wallpaper to something that makes you smile! Cute animals (including your own!), a funny quote, a beautiful nature scene, or a snapshot of you doing something you love can all make a significant difference in your day. For example, you can change your wallpaper from your class schedule to your dog wearing glasses (it gets me every time).  

2. Hang things up in your room that inspire you and make you feel at home.

Your room should be the perfect spot for you to relax, rejuvenate, and rest. Here at Connecticut College we’re extremely lucky to be able to get single rooms after our first year. Take this opportunity to really make the room your own (without breaking any rules, of course) and decorate it in a way that makes you smile.

3. Organize a little bit at a time.

When we think about trying to organize our lives, it can be overwhelming. Try to tackle small areas of your life to maximize the feeling of accomplishment. I recommend trying your sports bag, backpack, or desk. These tasks are more manageable than attempting to clean your whole room (or life) at once. Plus, it’s the perfect opportunity to play your favorite jams. And bonus: you’ll (hopefully!) be able to find things more easily.

Carolyn Cross is a junior at Connecticut College and is excited to be the Campus Correspondent for the fall! She is a Sociology major and a Psychology minor. She also plays club soccer and is in Habitat for Humanity at Conn.
Her Campus Conn Coll