This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

March is Women’s History Month and feminism plays a huge part in that history. Feminism, to some, is perceived as a threat. People dislike the word as though it represented hate towards the world. No, feminism does not mean hating men. It does not mean it excludes all minorities. Feminism is the opposite of that, it’s inclusive, open, and involves all injustices from gender to race. It is not one fight, but a collective one with a goal to see equality.

When I was younger, I wasn’t sure what the word really meant. It wasn’t until I started university and had the chance to take a few women’s studies courses that I was openly feminist. Quite a few people have a feminist view, but are sadly afraid of the word and the connotations some others might have for it. If you believe in human rights for all, then you are a feminist. The Merriam Webster definition of the word explains it’s “the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes;” and is “organized activity on behalf of women’s rights and interests.”

Yes, it did start out as a fight for women to vote in the early 1900s, but it has grown from that point to include LGBTQ, race, and other injustices for people who are not middle-class, white men. It is an important fight that includes everyone. Here are a few people who describe what they believe feminism is, and why they are a feminist.

“I’m a feminist in large part because of my grandma. My grandma fought for women’s rights to be working mothers in the 1950s and 1960s. I remember growing up, and saying things like “I want to be a nurse” or “I want to be a secretary,” and my grandma would always correct me: ‘No, Sophie, you want to be a doctor, you want to NEED a secretary.’

Then I grew up, and I worked in a lot of environments that really reinforced that. I once had a professor say to me that I would make a good politician’s wife, and I remember quipping back to him, ‘You could have stopped at good politician.’

As a woman, who presents very femininely, I’ve noticed that it takes me ten times the effort to be taken as seriously as a man in the same position. I’ve had guys in classes explain MY THESIS back to me in front of professors. It’s exhausting having to combat constant aggressions towards my entire gender identity.

That said, being a feminist to me is taking a stance for ALL women, whether or not they want to be nurses, doctors, mothers, teachers, or just generally boss-ass ladies.  No matter their identity, race, or assigned gender at birth. Feminism for me is the right to choose. It’s equality for ALL, and it’s smashing the systemic barriers that prevent that.”

Sophie, 21, Political Science and History Major, Concordia University

“I am a feminist because I can’t honestly look at the world and think that the level of inequality that exists between men and women is ok. I’m a feminist because I recognize the double standards, the male entitlement and unfair treatment that women face daily that I don’t have to deal with. I hate the fact that while I walk alone comfortably at night, so many of my friends can’t. I hate that so many women need to work twice as hard just to earn basic respect and have their voices heard. I’m a feminist because I see that things are not the same for women as they are for me. I don’t have to deal with nearly as much or fight as hard to be treated fairly because of my gender.”

Dustin Kagan Fleming, 20, Journalism, Concordia University

“Unfortunately, I don’t think most people understand what it means to be a feminist and what the actual word means, which is why so many are unwilling to label themselves as such. There is such a misunderstanding when it comes to this term. In a sense, the word has become taboo because it has acquired this horrible reputation of meaning “man-hating.” Being a feminist is simply believing in equality between the genders, and I am always baffled when I learn just how uncomfortable this word can make people feel or how many eye rolls this word can inspire. This might be naive of me to think, but I often ask myself, ‘How can anyone not be a feminist? It literally means to treat men and women the same, and to offer them equal opportunities.’ Lately, I’ve really been inspired by Emma Watson’s feminist campaign and her work to bring awareness to the true meaning of the word as well as to destigmatize it. She explains that many people believe we are in a “post-feminist” society because women have the right to vote and have made a lot of progress. While that last part may be true, the reality is that women are confronted with sexism on a daily basis, whether it be upfront or disguised.”

Giulia Lato, 22, Elementary School Teacher

“Yes, of course I’m a feminist! Advocating for women’s rights is something I strive to do on a daily basis. I’m a feminist for myself and my own rights as a woman, but I’m also a feminist for women who aren’t as privileged as I am, like immigrants, LGBTQ+, women of colour, women with disabilities, survivors of sexual assault… the list goes on. White, straight, cis women like myself should use their privilege to help other women – that’s what I try to do every day. I’m also a feminist for men! Whether men want to admit it or not, feminism is also a movement for them. Gender equality does away with the rigid gender roles men are confined to as well and helps to eliminate the rhetoric that inspires toxic masculinity. It’s important to remember that the patriarchy oppresses men too!”

Candice Pye, 20, Journalism Major and History Minor, Concordia

So, what is feminism? And is it really only for women? According to feminist.com, in the Q and A section, “feminism is also concerned with racism, homophobia, etc. It’s really about being observant about injustices and being committed to correcting them, not just tolerating or excusing them.” In another question on the website about men in feminism, the answer went: “I think the “added value” of men is that they give their own example, they realize that they are underserved by living with sexism and thus figure out how to fight it.” In the end, it is important to work together to move forward.

Feminist.com: http://www.feminist.com/askamy/feminism/

Amanda is a Journalism and Creative Writing major at Concordia University in Montreal. Writing has been her passion for as long as she can remember, and is the reason why she's been pursuing it throughout her University career. She has been working on a novel-length story since high school that she hopes to one day publish. Journalism pricked her interest in her last year of high school when she took an optional class. Amanda joined a group in class, and they had to make a plan for a contest on how they would document the humanitarian work in Peru. They won first place, and had the chance of traveling to a small community in Peru where they had the chance to interview and meet volunteers and citizens. It was at that moment that Amanda knew what she wanted to do in life. 
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.