jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What Halloween Costume to Choose Based On Your Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

It’s that time of year again folks, the time of candy, alcohol and most importantly costumes. In order to save you some time, I have compiled a politically correct and funny list of costumes you could potentially be based on your major. We won’t be university students forever after all, might as well use the inspiration. Keeping in mind that we are students, all the costumes are relatively cheap and require minimal work too. Remember, a costume can make or break your Halloween night so choose wisely! 

Psychology

Psychology majors are probably all too familiar with Dr. Sigmund Freud and his theories. One easily recognizable term is Freudian slip. All you need for this costume is a slip (or a silk nightgown), some paper and some tape. Write out some common psychology terms like hysteria, Electra complex and repression. Then cut out the terms and tape them to the slip and voila, a Freudian slip. 

Chemistry 

This one is pretty simple. All you will need is a piece of cardboard or paper, a pen, a Starbucks cup (which you can fill with whatever liquid you choose to consume that night) and if you’re up to it, cat ears. Draw pH > 7 on the cardboard, hold the Starbucks cup, and flaunt your cat ears and you have turned yourself basic! 

Economics 

Who says econ majors can’t have fun? You will show all those haters just how wild you can be this Halloween with your very own supply and demand chart! All you’ll need is three different coloured large pieces of construction paper. Cut out an L-shape in one colour for the axis, and two lines in the other two colours for the supply and the demand curves. 

English

Show off just how grammatically correct you can be with a semicolon costume. All you will need is black construction paper, scissors and a white shirt. Start off by cutting a circle slightly larger than your face out of construction paper. Then, cut a smaller hole in that circle roughly the same size as your face. Next, cut out a comma shaped figure. Tape the comma to your white shirt and pop your face through the circle hole. There you go, you are the coolest kid at the party.

Political Science

Go as either the Canadian or, if you want to be more relevant to the times, the American voting sign. All you’ll need is a large piece of construction paper, some markers and a string. The Canadian sign is yellow, so a yellow paper with a black sharpie will do. For the American one, you will need red and blue markers and white construction paper. Draw the American flag on the sign and write “Vote”, next to it. Whichever sign you choose to make, punch two holes in each corner of the paper and tie a string so that it can hang off your neck. What is cooler than using your costume to remind all the American Halloween goers about their civic right and responsibility to vote in this upcoming election! 

Biology

This costume allows you to be something truly important– the mitochondria. In other words, the powerhouse of the cell. All you’ll need is two large pieces of construction paper in any colour, a string and different coloured markers. Tape or staple the papers together to connect them and draw a large bacteria looking figure on each. Punch out two holes in the top and tie the string through them to allow the papers to hang from your neck. If you want to get crazy, add a crown or something to really show what a powerhouse you are.

Philosophy

Schrodinger’s Cat is a well known theory that, as a costume, will have people questioning reality all night –so fun! All you need is cat ears, a cardboard box and a sharpie. Write Schrodinger’s Box on the box, draw some cat whiskers on your face, and step inside the box. Who else at that party can say that they are simultaneously dead and alive!  

Art/Film History 

You can be pretty creative with these two majors, basically choosing any well-known art piece or film character will work. However, for the sake of example, you could choose Girl with a Pearl Earring which is both a movie and a famous art piece. All you would need is a blue rag, a yellow rag, a fake pearl earring and a beige coat. Wrap the blue rag around your head and tape the yellow rag to the back so that it looks connected. Put the earring in, throw the coat on and you’re good to go. The only down side of this costume if you’re accurate, you will probably get a neck cramp from posing looking over your shoulder all night. 

Jenny Mourad

Concordia CA

Jenny is a Communication and Cultural Studies student with a minor in Psychology. She is your average multicultural, book reading, Netflix watching, wine loving girl. She is passionate about all sorts of topics but has a special place in her heart for representation in the media. She doesn't know what the future holds for her but she is excited to find out.
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.