Ways to Relax That Don’t Involve your Phone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

It is so important to give yourself time to relax each day. Between school, work, and socializing, life can be exhausting. Everyone deserves time to take a break, unwind, and let themselves, relax, free of any distraction. First, begin by eliminating the biggest distraction of them all: your phone. Yes, I know, it is your best friend, it goes everywhere with you, and trust me, mine does too. However, We all need to spend some time alone;in fact, it is a necessity.

I’m not trying to tell you to ditch your phone forever, give yourself anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour of phone free time a day. Next, you’re probably going to come up with an excuse of how you don’t have time in your day for this. I get it, we’re all busy people, but to keep leading successful, happy lives, we need downtime.

Whether it be before you go to bed or in between classes, give yourself a chance to unwind for a little while. I have compiled a list of things to fill up this gadget-free time with and here they are…

Write

This can be anything from journaling to writing poetry. If you’re having a bad day, write it out. If you’re having a good day, write it out. If you need to get off your chest, write it out. Writing is not only a great way to spend some time with your thoughts, but it can be so beneficial to your mental health.

Go for a walk

Being outside is one of the best ways to de-stress. Leave your phone at home or if you don’t feel comfortable doing that, put it on do not disturb and put it in your pocket. Take notice of what’s happening around you. The cars driving by, the birds, the people, the wind, the sun, literally anything.

Do a puzzle

I don’t know if this is just me, but I’ve been enjoyed puzzles. There is something so calming about it,and once it’s finished, you feel like you’ve accomplished something. You can try Sudoku or crosswords, or words searches, anything to utilize muscles in your mind that you don’t get to tap into as often.

Link for the puzzle: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4OSVPH?tag=bfrachel-20&ascsubtag=4690547%2…

Read…for fun

This is a great chance to read that book that you’ve been dying to read for the past year. You can give yourself a break from reading those boring textbooks and pick up something a little more entertaining.

Exercise

Whether you belong to a gym or not, exercise is a great option to relax and get some endorphins flowing. You can take a nice jog in your favorite park, walk your dog, and maybe even attend a class that you’ve wanted to try.

Clean

Call me crazy, but I am a stressed, I clean. This is something that calms me down the most. This is the type of thing that you either love or you hate, but you never know until you try. There is nothing I love more than having a clean apartment.

Be creative

Try picking up new hobbies. Even if you’re convinced that you aren’t artistic, you may have some untapped potential. Try your hand at drawing or painting. It’s a great way to unwind, express so creativity and tap into your inner artist.

Yoga and meditation

Yoga and meditation may not be for everyone, but it can be a great way to unwind a bit and refresh. This can be a simple as sitting on your couch for 15 minutes and focusing on your breathing. There are plenty of great apps for guided meditation as well as YouTube tutorials.

Sophie Burt

Concordia CA '21

My name is Sophie Burt and I am in my second year at Concordia University with a major in anthropology. I am originally from Pennsylvania where I lived most of my life, except for a few years spent in Germany. I was seeking something unique for my college experience which is how I ended up in Montreal. I have loved living here so far. The culture, the people, and the food make the time spent a way from my family worth it. Throughout high school I was involved with DECA, a business competition network in America. I also competed in serval Model United Nations conferences at universities such as Princeton, George Washington, and The University of Pennsylvania. For three consecutive years I held an officer position of our schools Anti-Bullying club where I organized events and fundraisers to create awareness and end bullying in schools. Now at Concordia I am looking to become just as involved as I was in high school. In 2017 I became a member of Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority which has been the highlight of my university experience thus far. I have gotten to take part in numerous philanthropy events, raising money for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and ANAD (National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders). Being a part of a group of such strong, powerful, driven women, has very much inspired me and I look forward for my future as a Deepher. In my spare time I enjoy cuddling with my dogs, taking photography adventures around the city, traveling with my family, and of course writing. I decided to join her campus as a creative outlet and to get more involved in Concordia culture. I look forward to meeting new people and making meaningful connections as well as share my writing.
Kami Katopodis

Concordia CA '19

President of HC Concordia • Poet • Major in Human Relations • Minor in Diversity in the Contemporary World •