Top Five Recipes to Help You Nail Your Back to School Health Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Going back to school in the New Year is hard enough as it is. Add some New Year’s resolutions to the mix, and you probably have your hands full. If some of those resolutions include healthier eating, then you’re in luck, HC reader! Here is a list of five recipes that will kick-start your new year and your new, healthy, you. No detoxes or cleanses in sight, just hearty recipes full of veggies and protein so you can properly hit the post-Holiday reset button.

1. Curried Lentil, Tomato, and Coconut Soup

This ultra-simple soup will act as the perfect antidote to Holiday excess. Not only is it healthy, but it will also give your bank account a well-deserved break. Lentils are an excellent source of protein and iron and they receive merited attention in this fragrant and well-balanced soup recipe. Try it on a busy weeknight, it only takes about a half hour to make! The recipe is by Yotam Ottolenghi for Bon Appétit magazine, and you can find it here  

2. Three Ingredient Smoothies

This list of three ingredient smoothie ideas created by Buzzfeed contributor Jessica Seinfeld is guaranteed to bring you much needed breakfast inspo this winter semester. These smoothies will energize and satisfy you first thing in the morning. Plus, you can prep them ahead of time by freezing the cut and measured ingredients. All you have to do is roll out of bed and dump everything in the blender! Talk about nailing those health resolutions. You can find the list of recipes here

3. Make-Ahead Broccoli and Quinoa Salad

This broccoli salad is the ideal alternative to traditional leafy salad for make-ahead school lunches. The broccoli won’t break down and soften when dressed in advance, and your salad will stay delicious even if it remains in your lunchbox for a little too long. The recipe is part of Bon Appétit’s series Basically, which not only provides easy recipes for culinary beginners, but also gives step-by-step advice and tips for getting the best results possible. For this recipe, the Basically team explains a broccoli chopping technique that will revolutionize your opinion about broccoli and will help you get so much bang for your buck. Now you can nail your health resolutions and learn how to be a better cook (which will no doubt help you be healthier in the long run). You can find the recipe, as well as the broccoli chopping technique, here

4. Salmon with Lemon Mustard Dill Sauce

This recipe features an unbeatable combination: salmon, lemon and dill. It can’t get any simpler. The creamy yogurt sauce adds a little luxury to the mix, but the recipe is ultimately super healthy. Pair it with some steamed veggies and brown rice, and you have a perfect, easy weeknight dinner. This could easily become one of your go-to healthy recipes in 2018. This recipe is by Anne Mauney, a registered dietician who promotes healthy and happy living without counting calories on her blog FannetasticFood. You can find her salmon recipe here.   

5. Chocolate Chip Hummus

I know this sounds super weird, but hear me out: it actually tastes like cookie dough. This snack dip is perfect for starting the new year and the new semester on the right foot. You don’t need to give up your guilty favourites, but you’re still getting the fibre and protein you need. Pack some of this dip in your lunchbox on your first day back this semester with some apple slices or graham crackers, and you’ll feel like you’ve got everything under control, even if you’re wishing you were still in your blankets eating actual cookie dough. This recipe is by Amelia Winslow, nutritionist and chef, and you can find it on her blog Eating Made Easy  

Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.