Top 10 black girl magic moments of 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

“Black girl magic”, a term coined by CaShawn Thompson in 2013, is a social movement created for the empowerment and celebration of black girls and women worldwide.  Although it quickly blew up on social media sites worldwide, the term “Black girl magic” has become more than just a simple hashtag; it has become a source of support, self-love and motivation for black females around the world. 

Although many things may have gone wrong in 2016, here are ten moments #Blackgirlmagic and the women embodying the hashtag made it survivable!

1. Rio 2016 

From the first black woman in Olympic history to win an individual gold medal in swimming to the first ever gymnast to win three consecutive world titles, the women of the 2016 U.S. Olympic team shattered stereotypes with their phenomenal performances.

#BlackGirlMagic

2. Anaya Ellick 

Seven-year-old Anaya Ellick was born with no hands. Without using prostheses, Ellick won the Nicholas Maxim Special Award for Excellence in manuscript penmanship while writing with just her wrists.  At just seven years old, Ellick kicks some serious ass. #BlackGirlMagic

3. Warsan Shire 

You may have heard of a little visual album by the name of Lemonade. Well, have you heard of Warsan Shire? In 2014 she was appointed the first Young Poet Laureate for London and in 2016 was credited in Beyoncé’s visual album for film adaption and poetry. Shire was the driving force behind the poems recited by Beyoncé in her voiceovers throughout the visual album. #BlackGirlMagic

4. Marley Dias 

At just 12 years old, Marley Dias collected over 1,100 books and started #1000BlackGirlBooks. It was a book drive aimed at collecting stories about young black girls. #BlackGirlMagic 

5. Kamala Harris 

Kamala Harris not only left her mark in 2016 but will also continue to sprinkle her #BlackGirlMagic all over the U.S. Senate in 2017. She is the second black woman to be elected to the senate and the first black woman to represent California. #BlackGirlMagic

6. Issa Rae 

Issa Rae is the first black woman to write, produce and star in her own HBO original. Graduating from Stanford University, Rae has made her way from YouTube star to HBO phenomenon.  Rae’s show, Insecure, is a must see television show of 2016. #BlackGirlMagic

7. Michelle Obama 

Although married to the most powerful leader in the world, we all know who truly calls the shots in the White House, our very own F.L.O.T.U.S.  Not only has she become the first black first lady of the United States, she has also become a role model for black women and girls around the world.  With her charm, intelligence and grace, she will always be remembered as our F.L.O.B.G.M. (First Lady of Black Girl Magic.) #BlackGirlMagic

8. Solange Knowles 

This magical woman can have a seat at any table I’m eating at. With her latest album Seat at the Table, Solange slayed us all with her empowering and catchy songs. With its calming and mellow vibe, this album snuck its way into our hearts, spirits and #hairgoals. #BlackGirlMagic

9. Beyoncé Knowles-Carter 

Beyoncé, once again claimed our lives and spat it back at us with her second visual album Lemonade, which sold over 485,000 albums in its first week. This earned Queen B, her sixth consecutive number one album in the U.S. and Rolling Stone’s number one album. Beyoncé once again killed the game! #BlackGirlMagic

9. Amariyanna “Mari” Copeny 

At just eight years old, Amariyanna wrote a letter to president Barak Obama telling him about the unsuitable drinking water in her community of Flint Michigan. After writing the letter, she was invited to meet the president and president elect. She still continues with her efforts to bringing clean water to Flint Michigan. #BlackGirlMagic

D'Ante Hanna

Concordia CA

My name is D'Ante Hanna, I was born and raised in Nassau,Bahamas. I am 22 years old and currently studying Political Science at Concordia University in Montreal Quebec.I moved to Canada a little over two years ago and hope to make this my permanent home. I hope to one day become a news anchor for a major broadcasting company and make a difference in the world. I love volunteering and traveling. Writing comes naturally to me, being a very critical thinker it allows me to express my creativity in a functional and soothing way. Not only do I love to write but I also love reading and public speaking, I hope to one day become a best selling author. A quote that I live by is "The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.”– Ayn Rand.
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.