Meet the Her Campus Concordia Team – Amanda Cloutier-Santos

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Name: Amanda Cloutier-Santos

Major: Journalism and Creative Writing

Why did you choose Concordia? I initially wanted to only take Creative Writing and Concordia is the only university to offer this as a major. It’s also well reputed for its journalism program, so it was the obvious choice for me. 

What is your favourite part of Concordia? Being downtown and near everything is a perk, and now that I’m at Loyola, I’m glad to also have the nice, movie-like campus. But what makes me really feel part of Concordia is my luck of being part of a sorority, Delta Phi Epsilon, and be surrounded by supporting people. 

Campus involvement? I’ve was never able to find a club to join, but I did join a DPhiE last Fall semester. 

Role at Her Campus: I’m a contributor for Her Campus. 

Why did you choose to join Her Campus? Writing has always been my passion. When I see myself as a journalist I see myself working for an organization such as Her Campus, one that is fun and promotes strong women. 

Hometown: Before high school I lived in Saint Hubert in the South Shore. When I started high school, I had moved to Repentigny in the North Shore. 

Favourite place on/near campus to hang out? I usually meet friends at a Second Cup to hangout and study. 

Describe yourself in three words: Writer, Traveler, Creative

If you won 1 million dollars, what would you buy first? A plane ticket to go anywhere—probably Europe. 

What is your favourite place you have traveled to? I almost feel bad choosing! All the places I visited had its own charm. I loved Peru because it was trip that I won and made me realize journalism was something I wanted to do. But my heart goes to Paris and Italy where after finally visiting them, I was still in love with them. Paris is as romantic as the movies tell, and Italy, well Italy is Italy. 

Where is somewhere you want to travel to? Scotland. I want to either do an exchange there or just live there. I know it might be crazy since I haven’t visited it yet. 

What are you reading right now? School hasn’t given me the chance to continue my summer’s read. But I had been reading The Winter Sea which is about an author who moves to Scotland to write her historic fiction. Her characters and the author’s memories almost seem to be one, as her present life almost mirrors her heroine’s.

What is one mistake you’ve made in college/university and what did you learn from it? My mistake is that I am a procrastinator. I am still working on that. 

Where do you see yourself in five years? Hopefully out of school! I see myself abroad. Anywhere, really, just abroad. 

What is one quote you’ve always held onto? The only one that comes to mind is, “All who wander are not lost.” I was always drawn to that quote. It can be about traveling, which I love, but it can also mean life paths. In university, I think, everyone feels a little lost because they don’t know what they want to do, or they keep changing their minds. This quotes reminds me that even if I have changed my mind and directions, I’m not lost. 

What if your favourite food? My all-time favourite are fajitas

What is your favourite animal? Horses

What is your favourite movie? Hard to pick, but probably 10 Things I Hate About You

Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.