This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

The start of a new semester can seem daunting at the very least. Starting your semester off on a good note can help ensure a smooth school year and help you feel prepared for everything that is to come. There are so many things you can do to start off your semester on the right foot.

Having early classes can be kind of a bummer, but by waking up at the same time every day, you can set your body’s clock so that it lessens the risk of you sleeping through one of your 8:45 a.m. classes. This will also help you schedule your days out and keep you more organized.

One of the benefits of the first week of classes, is that you receive a syllabus for each of of them.  This means that you have a blue print of your entire semester. By putting all important dates and assignments in a planner or on a calendar can help you stay on top of things. This is an easy way to avoid having due dates sneak up on you at the end of the semester.

The first week or two after the start of the semester can sometimes start off slow. Though we all wish it was still summer break, take advantage of the time you have to get ahead in your classes. You can read a chapter ahead, begin brainstorming ideas for a paper, or even complete assignments early.

On the other side, you need to remember to give yourself a buffer period. After months of not being in university, you need to give yourself time to get back into that mindset. This can be done by doing your school work in smaller bursts with more breaks and setting reasonable short-term goals for the first few weeks. For example, maybe you want to strive to finish all of your first week’s reading before the weekend, this way you aren’t setting too harsh of a deadline for yourself in case you aren’t able to do it.

Start off the semester with healthy habits like going to the gym or cooking yourself some healthy meals. By signing up for a class or two at the gym, it gives you some guaranteed ‘me time’ each week. This means that no matter how busy or hectic your schedule is, you can go to yoga, or Pilates, or spinning, or belly dancing, and enjoy yourself as well as staying fit. You can also get in the habit of meal prepping. This can help you save time during the week as well as saving you money.  

These are all things I have used in the past and plan to use now and in the future. These tips have given me the boost I need to be successful as a university student, and as a well rounded person. The have allowed me to organize my life both inside and outside university. I hope these tips help you start off the semester right. Best of luck!

Sophie Burt

Concordia CA '21

My name is Sophie Burt and I am in my second year at Concordia University with a major in anthropology. I am originally from Pennsylvania where I lived most of my life, except for a few years spent in Germany. I was seeking something unique for my college experience which is how I ended up in Montreal. I have loved living here so far. The culture, the people, and the food make the time spent a way from my family worth it. Throughout high school I was involved with DECA, a business competition network in America. I also competed in serval Model United Nations conferences at universities such as Princeton, George Washington, and The University of Pennsylvania. For three consecutive years I held an officer position of our schools Anti-Bullying club where I organized events and fundraisers to create awareness and end bullying in schools. Now at Concordia I am looking to become just as involved as I was in high school. In 2017 I became a member of Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority which has been the highlight of my university experience thus far. I have gotten to take part in numerous philanthropy events, raising money for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and ANAD (National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders). Being a part of a group of such strong, powerful, driven women, has very much inspired me and I look forward for my future as a Deepher. In my spare time I enjoy cuddling with my dogs, taking photography adventures around the city, traveling with my family, and of course writing. I decided to join her campus as a creative outlet and to get more involved in Concordia culture. I look forward to meeting new people and making meaningful connections as well as share my writing.
Kami Katopodis

Concordia CA '19

President of HC Concordia • Poet • Major in Human Relations • Minor in Diversity in the Contemporary World •