Style > Decor

How To Make Your Living Space Feel Luxurious On a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

This fall, I was lucky to move into a new apartment–one that’s sunny, bright, and much newer than my old apartment. My last place was nice, but my decor was rather drab, and the lack of light made it feel dingy and sad. When I moved, I was committed to making my new place a space that I would feel good in every day, especially because I live in a small studio with very little space. Making your space unique and fit to your aesthetic is important to feeling happy and at peace in your space, especially now that we are still in quarantine.  

I wanted my new place to look more “adult”, and less “broke university student.” However, I am exactly that– a university student on a budget. As we all know, home decor can get expensive. But, I’ve managed to find a few ways to make my apartment look and feel luxurious without breaking the bank. 

Frame Your Art

Hanging art or posters on your wall is a great way to make your own space and fill up the walls. I’ve found that getting frames for all my posters and art prints made my apartment look much more put-together. Amazon has a wide variety of cheap frames, and thrift stores often have a myriad of unique frames.

Make Your Space Smell Nice

Do you know how celebrities talk about having a signature scent? That also can apply to your home! Adding a nice smell can transform how you feel in your space. A great way to do this is through using candles, which can also serve as a decor piece themselves. I’ve loved my (Montreal based!) candle from Wan Candles

Stick to a Colour Scheme

Keeping a similar colour palette throughout your space makes it look less chaotic. A few ways to add colour to your space is through blankets, throw pillows, rugs, lamps, candle jars, or even knick knacks. Simons and Homesense both have a variety of inexpensive decor that will bring your home to life. 

Add Light

My new place is super bright with natural light, but I also like adding  extra lights for evenings. Fairy lights and decorative lamps are  a great way to add extra light to your home and make it seem cozier and warmer!

Throw Pillows

I LOVE throw pillows. Since my apartment is so small, my only seating areas are my desk and my bed. When I get tired of sitting at my desk I migrate to my bed, where I sit supported by a mountain of throw pillows. Not only are they comfortable for lounging, but they make your room look put together and are a great way to add colour and personal touch. I love the pillow covers from Redbubble, and you can get cheap pillow inserts from Amazon or Hudson’s Bay. 

Framed Photos

As I mentioned before, framing your art and posters make your home look more “adult,” but the same goes for photos. I have so many photos with my family and friends around my apartment, and placing them in frames instead of sticking them on the wall adds a nice touch. Dollarama has lots of cheap frames to choose from.

Sarah Bubenheimer

Concordia CA '22

Sarah Bubenheimer is a fourth year student at Concordia studying Philosophy, Law & Society, and Western Society & Culture. She is a Councillor for the Concordia Student Union and the Academic & Accessibility Coordinator for the Students of Philosophy Association. She is passionate about lattes, lipstick, and philosophy, and can always be found at a cafe listening to Taylor Swift. 
Kheyra King

Concordia CA '21

Kheyra King is a Montreal-born city girl studying English Literature at Concordia University. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Concordia and the Vice President of Recruitment of Delta Phi Epsilon. She loves coffee dates, traveling and pasta. You will definitely catch her studying at the local Starbucks or Webster Library.