Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to Keep a Healthy Relationship During the School Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Transitioning back into the swing of the school year can be quite stressful and when you’re in a relationship, this transition comes with some added challenges (and rewards). Whether you or your partner are headed back to school, here are seven tips and tricks to more effectively balance school, work and romance.

1. Make a schedule

I can’t stress enough the importance of knowing both your own and your SO’s class and work schedule. Keep a physical planner or phone calendar to keep track of these dates. This will make it much easier to block out times for you to spend together as a couple and prevent you from overbooking schedules. It will also hold you both accountable for your respective commitments.

2. Study together

As we know all too well, finding time to spend with your partner during the rush of the academic year is no easy feat. Building in study dates can be a great way to spend quality time together without compromising your workload. Studying together will help you both stay focused on the task at hand, and you can even help to edit each other’s work. This is a super productive practice and getting the work done as a team will leave you feeling accomplished and stronger as a couple.

3. Do evenings “in”

It can be very tempting to want to go to a party, bar or out dancing with your SO, but doing this on a school night can really wreck the rest of your week. Try cooking meals together, watching Netflix or playing board games. Most importantly, find activities that the two of you like to do as a couple, without stressing your health or your wallet.

4. Acknowledge each other’s needs

We sometimes forget that a healthy relationship should be a team based on compromise and understanding. It can be difficult to take the time to discuss your individual and couple needs when the pressures of school can be so demanding. So, it’s important to listen to your mate and tune into their needs. Perhaps you want more space to finish up a big project, or maybe you need more of your partner’s time to help you edit and collaborate and even just being there to give extra support during a stressful exam period. Learning to ride with the ebb and flow of academic demands will ensure smooth communication and respect in your relationship.

5. Plan a date night

While having productive study dates and spending nights in are both excellent ways to keep your relationship going strong, we can’t forget the importance of going out on dates. As school and life’s responsibilities pile up, we often forget to build intimacy with our SO. Go out to the movies, a fancy restaurant, treat them to a bubble bath or even try new positions in bed!

It’s crucial to take the time to reestablish your love, romance and sex life. Doing so will keep your relationship affectionate and  passionate while being appreciative of one another.

6. Prioritize your studies

A challenging (and not super fun) part of maintaining a healthy relationship is making sure your academic commitments come first. This can be especially difficult when you start a new relationship and you want to focus all your attention on each other. This is not at all to say that you should cast aside your partner, but make sure your school work doesn’t fall behind. Be honest and realistic with each other about due dates for assignments, projects and commitments. Try not to make your SO feel guilty by finishing up some work before spending time together.

7. Be present

Whether you are having a study date, a romantic evening or finishing up midterms, always be present physically, and mentally and emotionally. It is so easy to get distracted with all our surroundings, so remember to check in with your partner, ask how they’re feeling, and do the same for yourself. Being in tune with your body and mind will help ground your relationship and stay in the joy of each moment together.

Edited by: Amanda Cloutier-Santos

Faith Orr

Concordia CA '19

Faith Orr is a Campus Correspondent at Concordia University in Montreal. She is in her final year of studies, specializing in French to English Translation with a minor Women’s Studies. She is originally from a small farming town in Vermont, U.S. but has planted her new roots in Montreal. She has a passion for feminism and LGBTQ activism. In her free time, Faith enjoys studying astrology (#TeamVirgo) and learning about holistic health and medicine.