Wellness

How To Get Over a Breakup: Six Simple Tricks To Move On

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Going through heartbreak sucks and you need to take the time to mourn the loss in your life. Whatever the reason for the split- the breakup of a relationship can turn your whole world upside down. However, it’s important to move on with a renewed sense of optimism and hope.

In reality, breakups often take weeks or even months to get over. But, the healing process is necessary for the next chapter of your life (one that might even include a relationship with the man or woman of your dreams). With all that being said, the first few weeks are still terrible, but here are some tips to move onward and upward. 

Stop Blaming Yourself

If only I was nicer/had more sex/did more things he or she liked. No! It takes two to breakup- so stop blaming yourself and realize that he had a part to play in this breakup too. In my opinion, telling your friends about your relationship can help you get an outside perspective, maybe you’ll realize he contributed to the breakup more than you thought.

Avoid your Ex at all Cost

After a breakup, it’s extremely tempting to check your ex’s Instagram or to text him or her to validate they still have feelings for you. But, you must avoid this behaviour at all costs. Checking up on your ex is like jumping down a rabbit hole- it will lead you nowhere. If you think you’ll have no control over texting your ex while you’re drunk at 3 AM, give your phone to a friend, block him on everything, or flush your phone down the toilet!

Make More Time for Self-Care

Now that you’re single, you finally have more time to do the things you missed out on while you were in a relationship. Try to exercise more because the best revenge is a hot body, as Khloe Kardashian says. Get out more and do yoga, sports, and meditation to focus on your physical and mental health. Also, get your nails done, put more makeup on, make yourself feel beautiful. Do anything and everything to make your soul and body feel better during this time.

Visit a Rage Room

Seriously… There are rooms that allow to destroy objects and break everything to your heart’s content. After a breakup, you’re filled with rage and negative emotions, so why not visit a place that can allow you to destroy things legally. For best results, think about your ex and all the annoying things he did while breaking the objects. 

If you live in the Montreal area, visit https://combatdarchers.ca/en/demolition-room/

Rely on your Friends and Family

Breakups make you feel worthless and unloved, so surround yourself with people who love and cherish you. They’ll remind you of your worth in no time.

Find your Passions

The last and most important tip is to find yourself. This is a time to focus on you and only you. To get your mind off your ex, start volunteering, reading, or start a new sport, maybe you’ll find a new passion. Make sure you turn a bad situation into the best outcome possible. Make your dreams a reality with all that free time you have now that you’re single! 

Megan Rourke

Concordia CA '20

Megan is majoring in history with a minor in education at Concordia University, she hopes to one day become a teacher and write a novel for children. She is a city girl with a love for animals and Disney movies. During her free time, Megan enjoys reading, shopping, and cooking vegetarian meals.
Kheyra King

Concordia CA '21

Kheyra King is a Montreal-born city girl studying English Literature at Concordia University. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Concordia and the Vice President of Recruitment of Delta Phi Epsilon. She loves coffee dates, traveling and pasta. You will definitely catch her studying at the local Starbucks or Webster Library.