Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer In Bed
Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer In Bed
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Wellness

How to Deal With Your Anxiety During Exam Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Exam season has now begun. We passed midterms, now we wait for finals. This part of the semester is usually the most stressful for most students, including myself. That is why I’m going to share some tricks that have helped me get through the exam season without losing control over my anxiety. 

One thing that has helped me is giving yourself a schedule. Personally, I know I cannot stay up late to study. I am a person who needs a good night’s sleep. Knowing this, I started making these study schedules. They are not specific; they are just a visual guide for me to see what I have to get done and how much time I can dedicate to get those things done. It is a good way to learn how to properly manage your time. Having a visual reference of tasks and the time you have to do it can help.  

Planner, Open, Pens, Tombow, Weekly, Spread
rayedigitaldesigns / Pixabay

Another trick I have learned that helps my anxiety is taking breaks and time for myself. Making school your absolute priority can be very harsh on your mental health. Learning to priorities yourself is very important to be able to continue studying and being successful. I believe that being able to take breaks and partake in activities that you enjoy during exam season is just as important as studying. Having good mental health and feeling relaxed will make exams so much easier. Taking breaks is something that you should put into your study routine.  

Staying active and working out can also help with exam stress, as well. Whether it is participating in a sport, going to the gym, or just going on a quick walk around your neighbourhood, being active is important. It can reset your brain and help you get rid of many emotions that might be bottled up inside of you even though it might not feel like you have all those emotions. On the same line as taking breaks, exercising can take your mind off exams. Sometimes you just need to take a step back, reset, and get back into studying once you feel ready.  

Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

Finally, the last trick I learned throughout my years in school is starting any kind of studying as soon as possible. Waiting a week or a few days to study always adds to the stress of exams. However, if you start studying two or three weeks before the exam slowly and at your own pace, it will make your life so much easier. Our bodies need to move and it’s important to keep that in mind during studying and exam periods.  

Those are a few tricks that have helped me reduce my anxiety during exam seasons. It is difficult to deal with for everyone, but remember that you are not alone, everyone is going through the same thing, and remember that seeking help is always a good option.  

Émilie Tittel

Concordia CA '22

I am a second generation Concordian. I am studying in Leisure Sciences in the hopes of working in schools and creating programs that would increase motivation in all students, inspired from my life as a dyslexic in our school system. Passionate about anything music, figure skating, and bullet journaling.
Kheyra King

Concordia CA '21

Kheyra King is a Montreal-born city girl studying English Literature at Concordia University. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Concordia and the Vice President of Recruitment of Delta Phi Epsilon. She loves coffee dates, traveling and pasta. You will definitely catch her studying at the local Starbucks or Webster Library.