Sports Soccer Crowd
Sports Soccer Crowd
Tiffany Meh / Spoon

Five Ways To Get Involved On Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Campus life is a huge part of the university experience. It’s a way to make your experience in school more rewarding, fun, and enriching. Whether you’re new to Montreal or you’ve lived here you’re whole life, getting involved on campus is a great way to meet friends and make connections. There are also a myriad of ways to give back to your community by volunteering or doing community service. Whatever it is you’re looking for, there is likely a place for you to thrive on campus!

Clubs Fairs

This is the most obvious way to get started. Usually, towards the beginning of each semester, the CSU holds a clubs fair on campus. Several clubs attend, and you have the opportunity to join or learn more information about each one. There are loads of clubs pertaining to interests and hobbies, cultural clubs, and political clubs. You can view the whole list here. 

Department Associations

If you want to get more involved in your department, there are typically several opportunities throughout the semester. Check if your department’s student association is hosting any social or networking events. This is a great way to meet like-minded people and possibly make connections in the professional world.

Volunteer

Are you passionate about a specific cause or issue in society? There is likely a way you can get involved. Many clubs focus on giving back to the community. If you’re interested in sustainability on campus, you can become a Sustainability Ambassador and be given volunteer shifts at different sustainable organizations at Concordia. Concordia’s LIVE Centre also posts frequent opportunities

Join a Sport

If you’re athletic and enjoy playing sports, Concordia has several intramural sports teams. This is ideal if you want to have fun and stay active without the pressure of playing a sport seriously. Concordia offers a wide variety of sports such as hockey, volleyball, and basketball. 

Consider Greek Life

If you want to meet new people, give back to your community, and have fun all at once, consider joining a sorority or fraternity. In my sorority, we have three main organizations that we raise money for year-round. We also frequently socialize with other fraternities and sororities at Concordia and throughout Montreal. I never thought I would thrive in a sorority, however, I’ve met some of my best friends there and have had countless opportunities to be involved in the community.  

Sarah Bubenheimer

Concordia CA '22

Sarah Bubenheimer is a fourth year student at Concordia studying Philosophy, Law & Society, and Western Society & Culture. She is a Councillor for the Concordia Student Union and the Academic & Accessibility Coordinator for the Students of Philosophy Association. She is passionate about lattes, lipstick, and philosophy, and can always be found at a cafe listening to Taylor Swift. 
Kheyra King

Concordia CA '21

Kheyra King is a Montreal-born city girl studying English Literature at Concordia University. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Concordia and the Vice President of Recruitment of Delta Phi Epsilon. She loves coffee dates, traveling and pasta. You will definitely catch her studying at the local Starbucks or Webster Library.