Five Must-Haves for Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

From shower caddies to bed sheets, the shopping list for moving into a dorm can be huge. While some items are obvious necessities, others are easy to forget among the excitement of picking out posters and hanging up pictures. Here are five key items to grab while back to school shopping for your dorm:

1. Window Fan 

Montreal summers are extremely hot. Make sure to buy a fan for your room to cool it down for the first few weeks of school. A fan isn’t only useful for the warm weather, though; fans are great noise blockers. Buy a louder fan to help you drown out the sounds of loud neighbours all year-round. 

2. Bathrobe 

From late night trips to the bathroom to needing an extra-layer over your pajamas during winter, bathrobes are the ultimate convenience. Best of all, they give you something to throw on for the walk back and forth to your communal showers.

3. Closet organizer

While most dorms have both closets and drawers for you to store clothing in your room, a closet organizer offers extra storage for all your needs. They’re easy to hang up and are the perfect place to put shoes, scarves or anything else that might need a shelf in your closet.

4. Travel mug

Make your own tea or coffee in a common room before you leave for class rather than spending money on buying it. Travel mugs are also great for when you want to take drinks out of the cafeteria.

5. Hard-bottomed slippers

Slippers are ideal for wearing around your dorm room, especially when it starts to get cold out. Buy a pair with hard bottoms so you can wear them out of your room without having to worry about what you might step in. 

Juliet Booker

Concordia CA

Juliet Booker is in her second year at Concordia University where she's majoring in Journalism and minoring in Creative Writing. When Juliet isn't writing, she loves film photography and going to concerts. Juliet is originally from North Vancouver, and while she misses the ocean and the mountains when she's in Montreal, she can't imagine being a student anywhere else.
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.