Five Essential Tips for Anyone Barely Making it Through the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

We’re more than halfway through the semester and assignments seem to be piling up, especially as a result of midterms. There’s really no way around doing the work, but some of us make it harder on ourselves than it needs to be. School is tough enough as it is, so there’s no reason to add to that stress. If you find yourself barely making it through the semester, (I mean leaving assignments to the last minute, skipping class, or getting low grades) there are a few tips I’d like to share with you which might ease the process of getting back into the groove of things.

5. Find motivation

It’s safe to say that many of us lack motivation when it comes to school. It’s true that some of us get excited to start back after the summer’s over because of the lengthy break, but the second we realize that school is pretty freaking demanding, we lose that excitement. In order to actually do well in school and be proud of your accomplishments, you need to relocate the source of your motivation and apply it to your studies. Go to class. Do the work. Don’t make excuses because once those grades come back, you’ll end up regretting the fact that you didn’t take it seriously enough. Nobody wants to have to retake a class.

4. Don’t be so hard on yourself

It’s also important that you engage in positive self-talk. It’s not too late to make up for low grades. So, instead of feeling sad or regretful, take the time to make the necessary changes in order for you to feel proud of yourself. Things get in the way, we all know this. It’s not easy to constantly stay on track. It takes a toll on a person, which is why it’s super common for students to slack off halfway through the semester, especially once midterms have passed.

3. Organize your time efficiently

This is something a lot of us forget about. We tend to leave our school work to the last minute and that just causes a lot of unnecessary anxiety and stress that could’ve easily been avoided if you only made use of your time management skills. If you lack some of these skills, then learn to develop them because they will absolutely come in handy at some point in your life, especially with regards to your student life. Use your agenda, or buy one. It might sound annoying or tedious but it honestly helps. Make a schedule of your assignments’ due dates, and manage your time so that you can complete (and hopefully ace) them all.

2. Prioritize school

We’re young, and even if we weren’t, we’ve got other priorities. That’s totally normal. It’d be weird if we didn’t. There’s friends, family, romantic partners, work, and even that little bit of alone time we all so desperately need sometimes. On top of all of that, we’re expected to go to our classes, give in assignments on time, and get good grades. Newsflash, that isn’t easy for anyone. It takes dedication. It takes motivation. It takes time. But it’s super important that you recognize school as a priority as well. You must learn to properly balance it all so that you have time for everything. And trust me, you’ll want time for everything.

1. Don’t give up

Cheesy as Hell, we get that. Easier said than done, we get that. The truth is that you’re in school for a reason, don’t waste your time. We’re constantly bombarded with everyday trivialities and sometimes they takes over our time and attention, but that doesn’t mean you should give up when it comes to school. You don’t want to look back and regret the fact that you dropped out. If school isn’t for you, and you seriously believe that, then so be it—but if the source of your problem is mere laziness or lack of motivation, then it’s fixable. So fix it.

Somewhat intense, somewhat carefree spirit attempting to navigate through Concordia's English Literature program. Lover of all things literature with an unceasing desire to find my own personal, unique space within the field. Acquires a totally awesome sense of humour.
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.