burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

BACK TO SCHOOL ESSENTIALS FOR THE FASHIONISTA ON A BUDGET

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Cute rompers and lace bodysuit are officially retired ladies! Fall – the indisputable best season of the year – is slowly coming back. After the heat wave we suffered this summer, you probably started wearing lighter clothes. Well, that won’t do in your air conditioned classrooms. Also, we can all agree that school wardrobe is a total different ball game than summer wardrobe. If you spent all your hard-worked summer money on ice coffees though, don’t worry. I have compiled a list of go-to items that you can purchase to create a back-to-school wardrobe on a budget. And who knows, some of these items are maybe already in your closet!

1. Essentials

Essentials are items that you need! Note that: need. They are the base of your well-put together outfits and can be worn over and over again without any shame. They are the following: a white tee, a good pair of jeans, a tank top and leggings.

1. Trench Coats

Want to channel your inner Olivia Pope? She left the White House a long time ago, but that does not mean that her fierce looks don’t live on to this day. Trench coats make every outfit more professional, whether it’s a plain dress or a white t-shirt and jeans. My tip would be to find neutral colored trench coats that can be worn with different styles and colors.

1. Jean Jackets

If trench coats dress up an outfit, we can conclude that jean jackets do the opposite! If there is a summer dress you are not done wearing, but seems a little “too much” for school, throwing a jean jacket on top of it will make the outfit appear more casual. JLike  with all the items in this article, jean jackets can be paired with merely everything.

NOTE: Jean jackets are not inexpensive, but they are worth the investment. If you are unable to splurge on them, try your local thrift shop! I found my very first denim jacket in one and it lasted me two years.

1. Midi dresses

If you are like me, you genuinely love wearing dresses. Summer being over does not mean that wearing dresses is off-limit! Midi dresses are an excellent alternative. They are easy to dress down with neutral sneakers or dress up with a trench coat and some heeled boots. Plus, they are the perfect length to make you feel comfortable throughout the day – meaning you won’t have to pull them down 100 times!

1. Neutral Sweater

This is Canada after all: the cold is bound to come back. If you are like me, you enjoy the comfort of a good quality sweater! It can be paired with jeans or leggings and more. My tip would be to opt for neutral toned sweaters that you can wear repeatedly without it being noticed.

Bottom line, being fashionable does not have to be expensive! With a bit of planning and versatile pieces, everyday can be your own runway show. Here are some extra valuable information:

Forever 21 has a free shipping policy for orders over 21$!

For shoes, YellowShoes offers a 15% discount off your first order!

If you leave your clothes on the cart overnight, on Fashion Nova’s website, they send you a discount code that can go up to 30%!

Annabelle is a wine enthusiast who is currently completing her undergrad diploma in Communication studies. When she is not writing for HerCampus, she is basically being a super boss and handling five other hats: radio show host, a social media content creator, event planner and youth parish leader. All of that is possible because half of her blood type if Caffeine+
Kami Katopodis

Concordia CA '19

President of HC Concordia • Poet • Major in Human Relations • Minor in Diversity in the Contemporary World •