This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

The 61st Grammys was on February 10th, and I feel like something was different. It seemed like a much more positive night for these artists, whether they were nominees or simply just invited to the event. In past years in my opinion, artists seemed to be a lot more self centered and not very encouraging for one another. For some reason, I felt like it was the complete opposite this year.

the Grammys are an award show specifically for music. The biggest names of the industry are nominated for different categories. It is probably the biggest award you can get in the music industry.

The first thing that really caught my attention was the host, Alicia Keys, an amazing singer-songwriter, was the first female to host the Grammys since 2005 who were hosted by Queen Latifah. Nothing was even mentioned about it, but I believe it is a big step for this industry.

Alicia Keys, as a host, was also very refreshing to watch. She concentrated a lot on the healing power of music. At the beginning of the show, she brought out four other strong women to stand by her and talk about how music helped them in their lives. Those women were Lady Gaga, Jada Pinkett Smith, Jennifer Lopez and the one and only Michelle Obama. They all shared what music does for them, like for there mental health or even just to help them get through the day. I felt like this was a very powerful moment. It was perfect way to start the show.

What also stood out to me about Alicia Keys was her performance. She sang some of her biggest hits, old and new. And, when you thought she couldn’t get any better, she started playing two pianos at the same time. Everything seemed so natural and was so enjoyable to watch.

Speaking of performances, there were two others that stood out to me. The first one being the tribute to Dolly Parton. The artists who participated in this tribute were Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, Kacey Musgraves, Little Big Town, Maren Morris and, of course, Dolly Parton herself. What stood out the most was the fact that it was not a huge production. It was just a great group of singers paying tribute to one of the greats. It was also nice to see the effect that Dolly Parton had on the people in that room. It was a very positive moment that I enjoyed very much. The other performance was Lady Gaga. She seems to be showing a lot more emotion during performances and I love seeing that in singers. It was an inspiring performance to watch.

The nominees were well balanced and there was a good mix of different artists and genres of music. I also noticed that a lot of the winners were actually women. The artists were also very encouraging with one another. A lot more than usual. I’ve been watching this award show for so long, and for the first time I really felt like everyone was very honest and true to what the music they wrote means to them.

In all, I personally feel like the 61st Grammys were one of the best. Whether it was the nominees or the performances, everyone seemed to be having a good time and everything was very positive. It was refreshing to watch, especially with everything we see going on in the world right now, whether that be politics, wars or even just the increase of school shootings, it seems like the people in this world have been separating from each other, so seeing how positive this big event was presented was nice to see. All in all, it was very well produced.

Émilie Tittel

Concordia CA '22

I am a second generation Concordian. I am studying in Leisure Sciences in the hopes of working in schools and creating programs that would increase motivation in all students, inspired from my life as a dyslexic in our school system. Passionate about anything music, figure skating, and bullet journaling.
Amanda is a Journalism and Creative Writing major at Concordia University in Montreal. Writing has been her passion for as long as she can remember, and is the reason why she's been pursuing it throughout her University career. She has been working on a novel-length story since high school that she hopes to one day publish. Journalism pricked her interest in her last year of high school when she took an optional class. Amanda joined a group in class, and they had to make a plan for a contest on how they would document the humanitarian work in Peru. They won first place, and had the chance of traveling to a small community in Peru where they had the chance to interview and meet volunteers and citizens. It was at that moment that Amanda knew what she wanted to do in life.