Starbucks
Starbucks
Hunter Honeg / Spoon

5 Drinks at Starbucks That Are Better Than a Pumpkin Spice Latte

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

I’m going to come right out and say it. I hate Starbucks’ infamous Pumpkin Spice Latte.

Don’t get me wrong, autumn is my most favourite time of year. I get excited just thinking about pumpkin scented candles, big sweaters and falling leaves. I even love pumpkin pie, pumpkin muffins and pumpkin cookies.

But what I don’t love is a Pumpkin Spice Latte.

I’m not sure who decided a delicious treat like pumpkin needed to be blended into coffee. It’s a whole mess and we as a society need to stop glorifying it. Luckily, the PSL isn’t the only thing on the menu at Starbucks. Here’s a list of just a few fancy, great-for-fall drinks that will give Pumpkin Spice a run for its money:

Salted Caramel Mocha

I need to start with this one, because it is the most underrated Starbucks drink in history. It is always released around the same time as the Pumpkin Spice Latte, but for some reason, nobody ever thinks twice about it. Even the baristas stare at me in confusion and say, “what is that?” when I try to order this delicious beverage before it’s officially advertised. Nevertheless, this drink is a dream. The little bits of salt that they add on the top are incomparable.

Cinnamon Dolce Latte

Pumpkin isn’t the only thing that comes to mind when one thinks about fall. Cinnamon is a staple fall spice, and the Cinnamon Dolce Latte is a great autumn flavoured drink that is definitely better than the Pumpkin Spice Latte.  It tastes like a warm cinnamon roll, especially if you add a pump of vanilla to it.

Caramel Macchiato

When someone thinks of fall, caramel is usually in that thought. You can order a Caramel Macchiato any time of year, but it’s especially good to enjoy on crisper, colder days. It’s also a good alternative to the Salted Caramel Mocha if you’re looking for more of a gourmet coffee and less of a dessert coffee.

Chai Tea Latte

When I think of Starbucks I don’t automatically think of tea, but I will now be aware that Starbucks truly does have something for everyone. Sometimes I can only handle one coffee a day, but still feel like I deserve a specialty coffee from Starbucks. My friend recommended to me a chai tea latte, and I will be forever grateful for that. The smell of chai always made me feel like it was autumn, and this drink lets me feel festive with minimal caffeine consumption.

Pumpkin Chai Latte

While the Pumpkin Spice Latte is strange in flavour, the Pumpkin Chai Latte, though still made with the pumpkin spice syrup, gives a much better taste. Pumpkin Spice, I find, is much better mixed with chai instead of coffee. If you’re anything like me and you like pumpkin but detest Pumpkin Spice Latte, this Pumpkin Chai Latte may be the treat for you!

Edited by: Amanda Cloutier-Santos

Kheyra King

Concordia CA '21

Kheyra King is a Montreal-born city girl studying English Literature at Concordia University. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Concordia and the Vice President of Recruitment of Delta Phi Epsilon. She loves coffee dates, traveling and pasta. You will definitely catch her studying at the local Starbucks or Webster Library.
Kami Katopodis

Concordia CA '19

President of HC Concordia • Poet • Major in Human Relations • Minor in Diversity in the Contemporary World •