rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Different types of group project partners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

It’s finally the end of semester, and if you’re like me, that means that you are pulling out the few strands of hair left from your poor, sore scalp as you try and deal with the final and dreaded group projects. I think that everyone has experienced at least one in their university lifetime. Yet there are a few different types of group project partners one can receive while in school. 

1. The Silent Partner

Let’s start with the one who never answers until it’s time to submit their part – may I add, right before the deadline. The stress definitely adds up over time due to this procrastinating student. From the constant wonder of whether or not they will get their part done on time, and the thousands of unanswered messages filled with panic, it really makes your anxiety skyrocket. But alas, in the end they do come through. With one minute to spare…

2. The Forever-Getting-Sick Partner

But of course, nothing is worse than the one who does answer, but with excuses as to why they didn’t do their part. Yes, I understand you are stressed with your other class. We all are. But seriously, how many times can your grandfather break his hip and end up in the hospital? How many extra shifts at work do you have to take because someone else bailed? And just how bad is your immune system that you’ve been sick at least six times this semester? The excuses are endless.

3. The Overachieving Partner

You could always end up being partnered with that one student who strives for absolute perfection and who rewrites all of the work that you do. Having a partner who doesn’t do the work is one thing, but having a partner who is so nitpicky that they take total control of how things will be executed can be way more frustrating at times.

4. The Clueless Partner

It’s not really their fault; it’s just how they are as a person. This type of student tries really hard, they always do their work, but it’s never necessarily what the teacher has asked for. And telling them in a polite way to edit or redo a part can become difficult because you don’t want to hurt this poor student’s feelings. Positive feedback is always good in these situations: “That’s not really what the teacher was saying in class…”

5. The Opinionated Partner

This partner I hate. The teacher hates them, the rest of the group members hate them and even your mom probably hates them because you’ve vented so much about this student in particular. This person is one who argues everything and is too stubborn to be open to other’s opinions and ideas. They have an opinion on just about everything and anything making sure they are heard by all.

You may have experienced students like these once or hundreds of times in your life. We all learn to deal with them at some point. Yes, it may feel like the toughest it has ever been as all of your group projects are due at the end of semester. But that only means that all of the stress, frustration, and anger will be over with soon.

I am a Marketing student who loves writing (along with sports, animals, art, and photography).
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.