This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

If you’re like me, putting on some tunes is the only thing that relaxes me enough to focus when pushing through the never ending homework grind, and even one of the few things that puts an end to my writer’s block. School can be extremely overwhelming, so whether you need a playlist to study to, or just to close your eyes and let it take you to another world; I have a list for you. Call it what you want, but I think it’s the power and mystique of beautiful jamz—a title of one of my playlists on Spotify.

These songs take away the never ending stresses of the day, and even accompany me in my homework endeavors. So whatever you need to use it for, put those headphones or your bougie AirPods in, and listen to the tunes that help calm me down and take me away from the anxieties of the day. Included are my favorite lyrics from each; I hope they help you too.

“Echoes” – Pink Floyd

“Overhead the albatross

Hangs motionless upon the air

And deep beneath the rolling waves

In labyrinths of coral caves

An echo of a distant time

Comes willowing across the sand

And everything is green and submarine..”

This ultra-psychedelic classic by one of my all-time faves Pink Floyd, is a whopping 23:32 minute song, but is otherworldly. Its melody and calming aura relax you, and personally makes me feel as if I’m floating in the ocean with nothing but the waves to lull me.

“NFWMB”- Hozier

“When I first saw you

The end was soon

To Bethlehem

It slouched and then

Must’ve caught a good look at you

Give your heart and soul to charity

‘Cause the rest of you, the best of you

Honey, belongs to me..”

Hozier’s NFWMB, off his Nina Cried Power EP, is an acronym for “nothing f*cks with my baby.” It’s an almost sensually eerie song that has the same relaxing effect as the last with a catchy tune added to the mix. Give her a listen, you won’t be disappointed.

“Venice B*tch” – Lana Del Rey

“Oh God, miss you on my lips

It’s me, your little Venice b*tch

On the stoop with the neighborhood kids

Callin’ out, bang bang, kiss kiss..”

My pouty queen Lana Del Rey truly delivers with this single, released last fall and teasing at her still-awaited record “Norman F*cking Rockwell.” Sorry for my explicit taste in music, I just can’t seem to help myself. This tune will be stuck in your head after listening, but its chill energy and classic Lana vibe takes you away to Venice. It’s one of my favorites of her’s.

“Cherry Wine” – Hozier

“And it’s worth it, it’s divine,

That I have this some of the time

The way she shows me I’m hers and she is mine

Open hand or closed fist would be fine

The blood is rare and sweet as cherry wine,”

Two Hozier songs in one list? You betcha, it’s Hozier after all. This song really takes me away from the noisy city to a flowery field. I can almost see myself in a floral sundress, walking in green grass without shoes. It’s a beautiful song that dances in romance, and one you’ll undoubtedly enjoy.

“Each Coming Night” – Iron & Wine

“Will you say to me when I’m gone

‘Your face has faded but lingers on’?

‘Cause light strikes a deal with each coming night,

Oh oh oh oh,

Coming night.”

If you’re familiar with Iron & Wine you know they have a way of incorporating peaceful and catchy into one, which is prominent in “Each Coming Night,” off of their record “Our Endless Numbered Days.” The entire album is one that will get rid of any worries of the day, but this one in particular really does the trick for me.

I hope these can help take away some of the stress of your day. No matter what life is throwing at you these days, music is always there to help. These songs certainly do that for me. Happy listening, and I’m sending good vibes your way.

Olivia Deloian

Columbia Chicago '20

My name is Olivia Deloian and I'm a journalism major at Columbia College Chicago with a focus in News and Features. I'll be graduating in May! I'm currently a production intern with ABC 7's show Windy City Live! A former intern with ABC 7's Consumer I-Team, and NBC 5 Chicago's Investigative Team. I'm also a former staff reporter and editorial leader at the Columbia Chronicle. I have a passion for writing and telling important stories. I'm a self-proclaimed fashionista, and I could spend all day talking about music and movies, and of course The Bachelor. Ask me what I'm listening to today. "Doing what you love is freedom. Loving what you do is happiness." -Lana Del Rey
Ally Stegman

Columbia Chicago '21

aspiring magazine writer with a passion for pop culture and fashion