This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

I went all over Chicago, to find your perfect matcha tea shop, these are your matches!

Goddess and the Baker

I have heard of this coffee and tea shop since I got to Chicago, it’s obviously very popular, but when I walked in midday during the week I realized just how popular it was. This place was crowded, it’s not a big place, so every seat was taken, but I managed to squeeze in. This is not the place to go and study or get work done; I would recommend coming here for a first date or meeting up with friends for a quick cup of matcha! I ordered a Strawberry Matcha Latte, I shelled out around $6 with tax, and I waited about 10 minutes for it, which is to be expected since it’s a specialty drink on their menu.

When it finally arrived, it tasted AMAZINGGGGG, take your regular yummy and sweet matcha latte and mix it with strawberry syrup and you’re in heaven. This is the type of place to hit up if you want an Instagram worthy post of you cozying up at a coffee shop with a delicious drink!

Fairgrounds Coffee & Tea

My next spot is Fairgrounds Coffee & Tea, located in the Chicago Athletic Association building. The coffee shop is situated in a small corner, set up like a Starbucks, so everyone is on the go, go, go. At Fairgrounds, they offer two different types of matcha both from the brand Rishi (you can buy Rishi matcha powder at whole foods).

The two types are Shiro no Kotobuki Imperial Grade (as explained by the barista, it is just your regular matcha powder) and then there is Ceremonial Grade Organic Matcha powder (per barista, it has a smoother taste). So, I ordered the Ceremonial version; I was sad when I took the first sip because I forgot to ask for almond milk (this is key because it will taste bitter with regular milk) and I can’t say it was any smoother than normal. This is probably my top recommendation aside from Starbucks. If you’re one of those people who doesn’t like Starbucks (who are you) then definitely give this coffee shop a try!

B.I Tea

Located in the French Market near Ogilvie train station, this is a great place to go if you and your friends can’t decide on what to eat. This place is filled with small food stands and a cute little seating area. It was really good, B.I Tea is more of a bubble tea place, but they still sell two styles of matcha drinks, milk tea, and Ice blend. One of the people who worked there recommended I get the milk tea because it has more flavor. It was really sweet and had the flavor he promised!

Sawada Matcha

This very small cafe is known as the best of the best in terms of matcha tea shops in Chicago. It has bright colors and fun seating; I imagine during off hours it’s a good place to get some work done as well as get some inspiration! Behind the café is a hidden sake and sushi restaurant (a little-hidden gem)! I decided since the menu is all matcha I should get more than one drink soooooo I delighted myself to a matcha latte, a military latte, and a violet flavor macaron.

The military latte is a normal matcha latte with a shot of espresso and has vanilla syrup and regular milk to give it that pretty design! Once stirred it tastes equally like coffee and matcha, it’s a good choice if you like matcha but need more of a kick to start your day!

The matcha latte is very sweet here, I, of course, got it with almond milk. It tastes similar to what I imagine a matcha cake to taste like! Very yummy. And the violet macaroon is exactly what you imagine violets to taste like. 

I hope you enjoyed my list of recommendations, hopefully, I’ll bump into some readers at these locations sometime soon! It’s important to remember that specialty tea and coffee is an art form, which means it takes time. Always be courteous and polite to whoever is serving you and expect to wait longer for your drinks, this isn’t a Dunkin’ Donuts. 

Mia Borowski

Columbia Chicago

Briana Kennedy

Columbia Chicago '19

I am a Columbia College Chicago student majoring in Advertising and double minoring in Marketing and Social Media & Digital Strategy. I am currently a strategy intern for Fusion92. In my free time, I enjoy reading, running, watching Netflix, exploring Chicago, and finding the cutest coffee shops.