How to Spend Halloween When You’re Over 18 but Under 21

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Figuring out how to spend Halloween in college seems impossible when you’re too old to trick-or-treat and too young to go bar hopping or to cocktail costume parties. So, what do you do to still have fun, but not feel lame? And, the more important question, what do you wear?!

We’ve got you covered with three age-appropriate ways to spend your Hallo-weekend with three costume ideas, to boot!

A Spooky Night in with Your Witches

Gif courtesy of Refinery29

There’s no better night than one cozied up in your living room with your best witches, some Halloween-themed drinks and snacks, and a spooky Netflix binge. Try out Bustle’s pumpkin butterbeer hot chocolate and pair your cocoa with Buzzfeed’s mummy dogs, then turn on some “Stranger Things,” “Coraline” and “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” for a haunted Netflix binge late into the witching hour.

An Under-21 Costume Party

Gif courtesy of Love This Gif

Costume contests aren’t just for the lucky 21 and over crowd. Plenty of cities hold costume contests or parties that are not in bars. If you’re in the Chicago area, check out these events and if you can’t find one near you, invite all of your friends and have your own party!

Grown-Up Trick-or-Treating

Gif courtesy of Glendale Halloween

We all know candy is not just loved by children, but trick-or-treating does lose its appeal once you hit high school, unfortunately. Instead of begging strangers for Kit-Kats, try out grown-up trick-or-treating and do a candy-crawl across your town or city. Chicago has some of the best candy shops, confectioneries, and sweets in the midwest! Try hitting these sweet stops in the city for your night of “trick-or-treating.” And don’t forget your costume!

Costume Concept: ‘Stranger Things’

Photo Courtesy of @breekish

One of the major dilemmas in college at Halloween time is what to wear. It’s not like we have oodles of money to spend on amazing costumes, and we, admittedly, need to keep the cool factor in mind (let us not forget the “Mean Girls” debacle). Take a note from model Bree Kish and her friends by dressing up as your favorite “Stranger Things” characters! The costumes are culturally-relevant and easy to recreate from staples in your wardrobe!

Costume Concept: ‘Friends’

Photo courtesy of We Heart  It

Are you lazy and a last-minute costume shopper, too? Well, boy, do we have you covered. Grab the brunette to your blonde or the blonde to your brunette and go as Monica and Rachel from this “Friends” Thanksgiving football episode! All you need is your comfiest sweatpants and sweatshirt and you’re good to go!

Costume Concept: Melania Trump

Photo courtesy Hollywood Life

Stand out at your Halloween event by going as First Lady Melania Trump in her infamous “I don’t care. Do U?” khaki jacket paired with some expensive-looking pumps and oh-so-cool aviator sunglasses. You’re sure to get some looks in this costume.

Alexandra Yetter

Columbia Chicago

Alexandra is currently a student at Columbia College Chicago where she is underway to earn a major in journalism with a concentration in news and features, as well as studying French language and culture. There is nothing she loves more than wandering around cities, curling up with a good book, and writing for hours.
Briana Kennedy

Columbia Chicago '19

I am a Columbia College Chicago student majoring in Advertising and double minoring in Marketing and Social Media & Digital Strategy. I am currently a strategy intern for Fusion92. In my free time, I enjoy reading, running, watching Netflix, exploring Chicago, and finding the cutest coffee shops.