you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus Celebrity: Miguel Flores

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.
Name: Miguel Flores
Age: 22
Year: Senior
Major: Sports Broadcasting
Hometown: Munster, Indiana
HC: What has your greatest achievement at Columbia been so far?
M: My greatest achievement at Columbia has been interning at ABC 7 Chicago in the sports department. I had the pleasure of working with such great people especially the best sports anchor in Chicago with Mark Giangreco. It was very surreal for me to be able to work with Mark, Jim Rose, & Dionne Miller. I was able to interview Cubs, White Sox, Bears, and Blackhawks players for the station. I loved every minute of it.

HC: What are you hoping to do after graduation?
M: After graduation, I’m hoping to land a job in sports broadcasting anywhere I can find one. The sports media industry is hard to break into so I can’t be too picky about my first job so I will take what I can get.

HC: What made you decide to do radio broadcasting?
M: I decided to go into radio broadcasting because I’ve always loved sports and listening to sports talk shows and games on the radio. I like how you can just have an hour conversation and give all of your thoughts and opinions on what’s going on with the Bulls, Blackhawks, White Sox, Cubs, and other big sports topics. I can talk sports all day and radio gives me the opportunity to do that.

HC: Who are your role models?
M: I would have to say my role model is my older brother Ray. I’ve learned so much from him and he has helped guide me so far. He’s in the industry I want to be in and I’ve been able to see how successful he has become. He works incredibly hard at his craft and he has been able to set the tone in how you should be if you want to make it in the sports world.  I know I can go to him for anything and that is really valuable to have someone like that. 

HC: What is your dream job?
M: My dream job would have to be the television play-by-play announcer for the Chicago Bulls. Basketball is my first love and I couldn’t imagine anything better than calling games for the team I grew up watching and rooting for. Having a job like that would be incredible. 
Kristina Vega

Columbia Chicago

I go to school in the great city of Chicago majoring in fashion business and marketing. I have had multiple jobs in retail and internships in event planning, wholesale, marketing, and blog writing. I love learning new things and going on adventures...&wine, I love wine.