Career

All the Advice You Need to Land an Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Getting an internship is so important nowadays. If it’s paid, even better. So here are some tips you can take with you to really make an impression and hopefully score the job.

While You’re on the Hunt

1. It would not be a bad idea to start a list of companies or brands that you like that you can reference when you start looking/applying for jobs

2. If you like a company, don’t be afraid to email them with your interest! What’s the worst that could happen?

3. Try not to let the pay control you, if you don’t actually want to do work or don’t like the job description, then don’t apply! You’re just wasting your time and theirs.

4. LINKEDIN!! Almost every company, employee, or business professional is on this platform, that means you better use it. Don’t forget an up-to-date, professional photo!

5. Keep track of all the jobs you apply to or that you’re planning to apply to, this lets you stay on top of deadlines, requirements, and whose calls you should be expecting!

Photo Courtesy of Pexels

About Your Resume & Cover Letter

1. If you are uneasy about your resume, visit the Columbia Career Center! They have designers and advisors that will help you with what to include and how to format

2. Please. Please make sure it is up-to-date before you submit it ANYWHERE. Double-checking is something you can do that is so simple, but not doing it could cost you, well, that job.

3. USE. A. PDF. WHEN. UPLOADING. RESUME. COVER LETTER. ETC. ALWAYS. SORRY I DON’T MAKE THE RULES.

4. Cover Letters are annoying, I know. They’re also a lot of work, but you need to do them. Yes, even if it says optional. If you don’t, you just look lazy and that is probably not a quality they are looking for in future hires.

5. DON’T USE THE SAME COVER LETTER FOR EVERY APPLICATION. AGAIN, I DON’T MAKE THE RULES. Yes, you can reuse some parts, like the “about me” section, but you should be tweaking it a little each time to help better match the company/position you are applying for.

During the Interview

1. BE ON TIME! I feel like I shouldn’t even have to include this, but seriously. Just be on time. I feel like the reasons why are pretty self-explanatory. And heck, be EARLY!

2. Dress for the job. Try and match the vibe of your outfit with the vibe of the company, just another thing that makes you seem like you fit in.

3. During a job interview, keep in mind that you are interviewing them just as much as they are interviewing you.  So tell them who you are, but don’t forget to ask them who they are.

4. What do you consider your weakest attribute? This is probably the most anticipated interview question ever. When they ask, answer honestly but try and put a positive spin on it. You could mention ways of how you are trying to improve it or a recent example of how you were able to overcome it.

5. When they ask you if you have questions, YOU BETTER HAVE ONE. Ask about their company culture, what a typical work days look like, if they do anything fun for employees, any incentives? Any team bonding activities? There are so many things you could ask, you have no reason to not ask one.

After the Interview

1. Always send a thank you note (via email, snail mail, or LinkedIn) after the interview thanking them for their time. It’s just the courteous thing to do and for such a simple act, it goes a long way.

2. NEVER pester them with follow-up calls or emails. Not a good look. They’re busy. If you get the job, you’ll get a call. If you didn’t, then you don’t so just move on.

3. Don’t stresssss. Everything will work out, so try and relax.

Remember, getting a job is a process. Don’t get discouraged if a couple of them don’t work out, keep hustlin’ till you get that dream job! It is possible. Good luck, can’t wait to read about you in Forbes.

Kara Middleton

Columbia Chicago

Hello, My name is Kara!
Briana Kennedy

Columbia Chicago '19

I am a Columbia College Chicago student majoring in Advertising and double minoring in Marketing and Social Media & Digital Strategy. I am currently a strategy intern for Fusion92. In my free time, I enjoy reading, running, watching Netflix, exploring Chicago, and finding the cutest coffee shops.