15 Ways to Survive the Cold Winter Days Indoors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Let’s face it, it’s too cold to outside to do anything. Might as well lock yourself in your apartment for the next 48 hours in full hibernation mode. Here’s 15 ways to save yourself from boredom and beat the Polar Vortex lock-in.

1. Binge Watch Netflix

Courtesy Tenor

Of course this would be the number one thing, it’s simple yet so rewarding. Utilize the next couple of days to finish those Netflix Original Series and Movies that everyone has been talking about. You could even go out of the box and watch a foreign film.“Maybe a weird documentary you would never click on?” I suggest watching: Bandersnatch, Black ( a Korean Drama) and Final Table.

2.  Watch a Movie/TV Show With Your Roommates

Courtesy Tenor

With all your busy schedules, you can really use this time for some roommate bonding. You won’t be alone, and it’s technically socializing so sit around and watch something you all enjoy. My roommates and I started watching RuPaul’s Drag Race.  There’s nothing funnier than screaming at the TV with your friends as you watch a Drag Queen Lip Sync for her life.

3. Cook Something Using the Ingredients You Have

Courtesy Tenor

There’s no way you are going out to the grocery store in negative 20 degrees, most of your favorite restaurants are probably closed and delivery prices on Postmates are through the roof. You gotta cook sis. Supercook.com is a great website where you enter in the ingredients you have and it pulls up various recipes you can make.

4. Re-Arrange Furniture

Courtesy Tenor

You used to do it in your room as a kid in your parent’s house, why not do it to your apartment? It’ll bring a fresh and relaxing feeling to your space.

5. Deep Clean Your Place

Courtesy Tenor

If this isn’t your thing and you like to keep things messy, then skip to number six. For my people out there that like to get down and dirty to be clean this one’s for you. Pull out that vacuum and put on those rubber gloves cause it’s cleaning time. You get that true feeling of accomplishment once you’re done, your space looks squeaky clean and your roommates will applaud you.

6. Workout

Courtesy Tenor

You finally have no excuses  not to hit to gym and exercise. If your building doesn’t have a gym, no worries, move some furniture out of the way, put on some cute fitness gear and lookup a fun workout video on YouTube.

7. Nap

Courtesy Tenor

It’s hibernation mode after all. I personally love encasing myself in at least 4 blankets and surrounding my body with pillows. Come and get me Polar Vortex.

8. Makeovers

Courtesy Tenor

Another roommate bonding activity! It’ll end up with a mess of makeup and hair products but at least you’ll have your hair and makeup done in a way you would of never expected.    

9. Take a Bath

Courtesy Tenor

When is the last time you had the time to take a bath? You deserve it. Time to turn the lights low, lights some candles and pop in a Lush Bath Bomb because we all know you’ve been saving it for this exact moment. You could also intertwine this with binging some Netflix, now that’s relaxing.

10. Board Games/Video Games

Courtesy Tenor

Someone’s bound to have a set of Cards Against Humanity, if you don’t have enough players, maybe it’s time to figure out who your neighbors are and invite them over!

11. Make Friends With Your Neighbors

Courtesy Tenor

Works especially well if you’re living in one of the dorms. You get extra players for your board games and you easily get to make new friends and bond over how cold it is outside.

12. Re-visit Nostalgic Disney/2000’s Music

Courtesy Tenor

Blast that stuff on the TV cause we all know you and your friends know all the lyrics. Any song from Victorious, High School Musical, Avril Lavigne, etc. put that on the TV and have a dance party!

13. D.I.Y/ Arts and Crafts

Courtesy Tenor

There’s simple D.I.Y projects online you can look up, some of my favorites are distressing jeans and shirts. There’s even some where you can make your own body scrubs and bath bombs.

14. GET DRUNK!

Courtesy Tenor

If you’re of age, pop open a bottle of wine and relax or turn up with your roommates. Plus it’ll make you feel warm and cozy.

15. Read Her Campus Articles

Courtesy Tenor

You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll relate too hard and you’ll gain some knowledge and perspective. You’ll for sure get sucked into reading so many, but you’ll always be entertained.

Tracy Marasigan

Columbia Chicago '21

A busy girl who loves fashion, r&b music, and food. I'm also a hopeless romantic...yikes.
Columbia College Chicago