We Won’t Let The Controversy Ruin Our Bacchanal Fun

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

That time of year is upon us once again: when Columbia briefly disguises itself as a state school and students completely let loose for one of the few times of the year. The libraries are emptier than they’ve ever been and Cava ambulances line College Walk.

As we all know, this glorious day is Bacchanal. Unlike previous years, when warm weather and lax rules characterize the concert, this year has been a combination of low temperatures and high tension, particularly between the students and the administration. This war on fun has made students distrusting and resentful of the administration and has all around decreased the excitement for the day.

Don’t we all wish we could say “I don’t f*** with you” to the upper echelons of the community? Despite the controversies regarding Bacchanal, I still sincerely urge students to keep their spirits high and get out of Butler to hear the concert, even if they weren’t able to get tickets. We all deserve this interlude of fun.

I am personally hashtag blessed and purchased my ticket a minute before they sold out. There are many questions that have yet to be answered – will we be wearing hats and gloves while raging? Will Ariana Grande be accompanying her boyfriend, Big Sean (I’m keeping my fingers crossed!)? Will there be riots on the behalf of the 2,000 students that have yet to be administered tickets? We will soon find out.