This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Exam season can be a particularly tough time for all of us, and COVID-19 hasn’t made it any easier. It is still important, though, that we find ways to relax and keep our heads up during this bizarre time of online exams. 

For people who already have difficulty managing their time well, I know exam season can be EXTRA intimidating and anxiety-inducing. For that reason, it is all the more important that you PLAN OUT your exam season — especially reading week. Mapping out your study schedule will make things seem less hectic and disorderly; if you know which subjects you’re studying at various times throughout the week, I guarantee that your stress will decrease immensely.

Do not forget, though, planning out your exam schedule doesn’t mean that you are studying every hour of every day leading up to exams. It is crucial that you let yourself relax. If you think you’re going to be studying 24/7, think again. That is incredibly unrealistic, and if you go into exams with that kind of goal, you’ll just stress yourself out more when you inevitably do not achieve it.

Before exam season seriously hits us, recognize the things you enjoy doing in your free time. Make a list. Then, as you are mapping out your exam season, set aside at least one hour each day dedicated to doing those things. Watch an episode of your favorite series, take a nap, listen to your favorite music.

If you are particularly stressed about time, though, and feel like an hour a day is too much, combine your study-breaks with your eating breaks; whenever you pause to have lunch or dinner (which you have to do!), watch a show while you eat. Listen to a podcast. Multitasking is your friend!

Maybe you don’t know what things you most enjoy doing or help you relax most, though. Let me offer a few suggestions:

Firstly, do not underestimate the effectiveness of coloring. Yes, as in coloring books! The act of coloring is extremely helpful to those who wish to decompress and calm any stress or anxiety. Invest in a good coloring book (illustrator Hanna Karlzon is my favorite) and some markers (Crayola always works best for me!). Again, multitasking can come in handy here, if you want. Even when it isn’t exam season, I typically take some time to color at the end of the academic day while I watch a show (it’s This is Us right now and The Great British Baking Show). Of course, you can also listen to your favorite Spotify playlist, a podcast, or just enjoy some silence. 

Whatever you decide to do in the free time you set aside during exam season, I definitely suggest lighting a candle or two (or three or four, honestly). Scented candles always help keep me calm, especially while I’m studying, and you can find some really nice, cozy scents to make your study space feel warm and inviting. The best part, too, is that they aren’t restricted to study-breaks! Keep them burning throughout your study sessions. The ambiance they create will calm you as you study.

No matter what, though, you have to get outside. Depending on where you are, temperatures may be brisk, so it may feel a bit harder to motivate yourself to get outside. But it is so important to get yourself to leave your home for at least a minute. The (potentially cold) outdoor air will clear your mind, and if you take some time to go for a longer walk, you will feel refreshed and recharged for when you dive back into your studies.

Let’s face it: exam season is everyone’s least favorite time of year. But that doesn’t mean we can’t figure out some ways to make it a little less unbearable. So, go order that coloring book! Buy those scented candles! Create your study map!

You can get through it. You always do.

Noa Fay

Columbia Barnard '24

I am studying at Barnard College of Columbia University. Some of my academic interests include American politics, Israeli politics, Russian language, and Greek mythology. I am also a passionate opera singer and writer. In January 2020 I published my first novel, One Cruel House, and I hope to publish more.