This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

During the last three or so weeks of my semester abroad in Spain, I’ve consumed more bread, meat and potato products than is probably advisable for the average health-conscious American adult. Yet I’m not worried about getting out of shape, nor am I in the majority of my study abroad friends who has sprung for a gym membership. Why?

Cause I’m walking about seven miles a day!

For me, a healthy day equals a good night’s sleep, three square meals and many miles walked. I suspect that this belief is backed up by science. Even when I have access to a free gym, I often prefer walking to other types of exercise. I like being outside. I like finding places by accident. I like spending time away from the internet. Walking facilitates all of these. 

While I’m having a lot of fun exploring a new city on foot, the old adage— “absence makes the heart grow fonder”—rings true for me: if the number-one thing I miss about Barnard right now is my friends, number-two is walking in New York City. So, I coped by mapping out my favorite walking routes from campus. Bear in mind that some are long enough to justify taking public transportation back to campus from the destination.

#1 Harlem Piers

Just a quick walk from campus, the Harlem Piers feels like a complete break from Barnard and Columbia. Pretty on sunny days and romantic at night, they offer views of lower Manhattan, several bridges, and, okay, New Jersey. The benches and grass are nice for sitting and/or picnicking in the warmer months. Pro tip: the Fairway out back has pretty much everything to satisfy said picnicking needs and is, generally speaking, a darn good grocery store.

Walk up Broadway to 125th Street and take a left at the McDonald’s. Continue down the street towards the water.

#2 Morningside Park

A beautiful park just an avenue over from Amsterdam, Morningside is a nice way to experience some greenery en route to Harlem destinations east of Columbia. There are benches and occasional tables at the base of the park for sitting. Walking the parameter of the park offers nice views of elementary schools and brownstones.

Walk out of the Columbia gates facing Amsterdam down 116th Street towards the stone wall. Continue down the steps.

#3 96th Street

Perfect for when one is short on time but feels that they “must leave the bubble.” If you walk from 116th Street to 96th Street and back, that’s two miles. Nice!

Walk down Broadway to 96th Street. If you’re tired of the same old scenery, try Riverside Drive, Amsterdam Ave. or Columbus Ave.

#4 125th Street

Lots of businesses to browse. Lots of people to watch. Abounding with historical landmarks and cultural institutions (The Studio Museum! The Apollo Theater!).

Walk up Broadway or Amsterdam to 125th Street. Walk down 125th Street.

#5 City College

Oddly spacious for a college campus in New York City, City College is a nice place to watch the sunset and, I don’t know, visit a college in New York that isn’t NYU? Fun fact: it’s the “college on the hill above Harlem” in Langston Hughes’s poem “Theme for English B.”

Walk up Broadway to 133rd Street. Turn left on to Convent Avenue.

#6 72nd Street

I am probably committing a geographical inaccuracy for thinking so, but I feel like an extra in When Harry Met Sally when I walk through the 80s down to 72nd Street. Nice places to stop along the way: Zabar’s, Westsider Books, Trader Joes. 

Walk down Broadway or Amsterdam Ave. to 72nd Street.

#7 Lincoln Center

Located in one of the swankiest neighborhoods of New York City, Lincoln Center (what up, D-Spar?) is a beautiful sight to see at any time of the year, whether you’ve got concert tickets or not.

Walk down Broadway to 65th Street.

#8 The Met

Yeah, you’ve probably been here already, but you could visit the Met 20 times and still not see everything, so why not go again? Since entry is free with a student ID, I like to get a pass, look at maybe three exhibits and call it a day.

Walk across 110th street to 5th Ave and down 5th Ave to 81st Street.

#9 5th Avenue

What is it like to come of age in the Upper East Side? While I don’t know the answer to this question, I like to think about it while I’m walking down 5thh Ave., past the various museums, lovely homes and famous department stores.

Walk across 110th St to 5th Avenue, and down 5th Avenue. Pro tip: I like to walk down to 5thh Avenue and 59thh Street, walk across Central Park South to the Shops at Columbus Circle (which have public bathrooms…and a Whole Foods) and take the 1 train back to Barnard.

#10 Times Square

While most of us never come here unless our parents are visiting, it is fun to walk down the Upper West Side and watch as the scenery morphs into neon and humanity galore.

Walk down Broadway to 42nd Street.

Happy walking!

Virginia Ambeliotis, BC '19, studies English and Philosophy. At Barnard, she likes to unwind by sampling the noodles of various Morningside Heights vendors and inventing conspiracy theories about J.D. Salinger's books. She is from Gloucester, Massachusetts.