rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Succulent Sundays: How a Seemingly Insignificant Plant Can Change Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Back at home, my mom and I had a small succulent collection on the steps of our front porch. Every Sunday, we would tend to the plants and watch them grow from tiny seedlings into full-grown succulents. When I made the big move from Los Angeles to New York City, I, just like other college first-years, caught the usual case of homesickness and desperately looked for a way to bring a glimpse of my old life into my new John Jay single.

One Thursday morning, a couple of friends and I were walking through the Columbia Greenmarket when I spotted a succulent stand. I was immediately reminded of my mom’s collection and purchased a small yellow seedling. Since then, the plant has found itself a place on my window ledge where I tend to it every Sunday, just like I did back at home.

Although my story may seem like some random gardening tale, my passion for succulents is well-founded. Studies prove that spending time with plants can substantially boost one’s emotional and mental health.

A recent Psychology Today article by Dr. Jonathan Kaplan reveals the positive benefits of having plants in your space. For example, plants release oxygen and absorb carbon dioxide, which freshens up the air and increases focus and concentration. Not only that, potted plants and succulents increase creativity and make work pleasant and satisfying.

With all of these aforementioned benefits, it’s clear that having plants can function as an added plus to anyone’s dorm or suite. But if you’re new to the idea of taking care of a potted plant, it may seem like a daunting task at first.

Here are some simple guidelines to raising a healthy and thriving plant:

1. One or two is enough. Resisting the temptation to add more and more plants to the collection may be tough, but research suggests that one to two plants and succulents is just the right amount for your indoor garden.

2. Choose your plants wisely. Once the cycle of photosynthesis ends at night, most plants start to emit carbon dioxide; however, plants like succulents, orchids and bromeliads do the opposite, making them the perfect option for dorms.

3. Be careful with water. Most popular houseplants like succulents and cacti don’t require much water. To keep your plant optimally happy, don’t water down from the center, and instead, mist with an atomizer or use a pot plant with drainage.

Plants may be the single best investment you can make to transform your dorm into a positive and uplifting space. Start with succulents, and see how these small plants possess the massive capacity to transform your life.

Grace Lim

Columbia Barnard '22

I am a first year at Columbia University studying sociology and east asian languages and cultures. In my free time, I enjoy cafe hopping and trying all things green tea!