The Podcast ‘Wonderful!’ Is the Positivity You Need in Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

My favorite sound in the world is the blaring, beginning notes of “Money Won’t Pay” by bo en and Augustus. I’m not a big fan of their music or anything — I’ve actually never listened to any other song — but “Money Won’t Pay” signifies the start of a perfect 50 minutes. It’s the theme song to my favorite podcast: Wonderful! with Rachel and Griffin McElroy.

If the words “podcast” and “McElroy” light up some part of your brain, you’re probably thinking about the fan favorite My Brother, My Brother, and Me, a podcast that three brothers started in 2010 as a way to stay in touch after moving to separate parts of the country. Since building a devoted fanbase, the McElroy brothers have created other shows, like the actual play D&D show The Adventure Zone, or The McElroy Brothers Will Be In Trolls 2, an edible-fueled project to gain parts in the upcoming Trolls World Tour.

Wonderful! was created by Griffin, the “sweet baby brother” of the family, and his wife Rachel. Every week, after sharing their “small wonders,” the duo will go back and forth, sharing things they’re enthusiastic about. Topics range from the simple (“Rice”) to the niche (“Writing a Theme Song to Something”) to the completely abstract (“Sympathetic Effort Response Reflex Thing”). Occasionally, Rachel will bring a poem to the show for “Rachel’s Poetry Corner,” a segment so beloved by listeners (and the author of this article) that it inspired its own pin.

At no point in the show does it feel like the McElroys are feigning enthusiasm for any of their wonders, which is a feat, considering their 100+ episode run. It’s also a nice break from the perfectly cultivated world of social media in general. I don’t feel like Rachel and Griffin are flaunting how perfect their lives are. Instead, I feel like I’m being welcomed into them through the commodities or concepts that bring joy.

The show didn’t start as a celebration of all things good, however. The show debuted in 2016 as Rose Buddies, a weekly review of The Bachelor. Eventually, the McElroys decided to move away from The Bachelor franchise and instead changed format to things they feel enthusiastic about. At their Austin, Texas live show, Griffin quipped, “We used to talk about The Bachelor, and then we pretty much decided to do the opposite show.” 

Thank God they did. Wonderful! brings a dose of unfiltered positivity to my Wednesdays that little else can replicate. In a world where it can feel like bad things happen every five minutes, it is important to take a break and appreciate the good things in the world. Positivity is even important to your health — a study done by researchers at the University of Michigan and Dartmouth found that maintaining positivity in your life can keep your health from deteriorating as you age, and the Mayo Clinic claims that positive thinking can reduce stress.

Even if Wonderful! doesn’t single handedly reduce heart disease, it still creates an hour where the listener has no choice but to bask in the appreciation and enthusiasm Rachel and Griffin bring to the table. The show creates a space of positivity that everyone should strive to have in their lives. If a podcast isn’t your cup of tea, still try to take the practice Wonderful! introduces and use it in your own life. Every week, recognize a few things that bring you joy or that you’re grateful for, and I am willing to bet that after a while, you’ll feel more positive, just like I’ve felt after listening to this show.

If you’re interested in listening to Wonderful!, it comes out every Wednesday on all major podcasting platforms. You can find a list of the topics they’ve discussed here.

Fritzie Schwentker

Columbia Barnard '23

Fritzie Schwentker is a first-year at Barnard College. She can usually be found listening to a podcast or talking about how much she misses her dog.