Internship-Appropriate Outfits for Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Now that warm weather has hit (kinda?) all I want to do is throw on a crop top, shorts, and flip flops and hit the town. Alas, I have class and work to worry about, and I can’t imagine that my boss would be all too thrilled to see so much skin. There are simple ways to keep your favorite spring outfits but make them more appropriate for class, internship, work, etc. Here are a few of my favorites!

Dress Up a Dress

Dress up your favorite dress with a blazer, cardigan, or tights so that it’s a bit less revealing. Don’t lose sight of bright spring colors though; “work appropriate” doesn’t mean all black!

Pair Skirts with Button-Downs

One of the quickest ways to make a skirt seem less “beachy” and more office-ready is by pairing it with a collared shirt, either tucked in or tied at the bottom. Accessorize with a necklace under the collar!

Swap Out the Flip-Flops

Often, then most “casual” part of a spring outfit isn’t the length of a skirt or the strap width, it’s the shoes you pair it with. Doing something as simple as switching your flip flops for loafers, ballet flats, or cute sneakers like white Keds/Converse can totally transform a look!

All images via Pinterest.com

Sofia Lyons

Columbia Barnard

I'm a first year student at Barnard and aspiring fashion journalist, hoping to bring my fellow collegiettes some style tips & info about upcoming trends! I also love singing/songwriting, dancing, event planning, community service, eating good food, and exploring NYC.