harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Stress Less this Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

It’s the beginning of the semester, which means getting out of vacation mode and starting classes, making last-minute changes to schedules, and figuring out how to do it all. While syllabus week may be an intimidating time for all of us, there are ways to make this time of year and beyond less stressful. Here are some tips to reduce stress this semester:

1. Plan ahead, plan ahead, plan ahead!

We all know how crucial time management and organization is in college. One of the best ways to stay organized is to keep a planner to write assignments, due dates, interview dates, etc. Highlight each course with a unique color and highlight any assignments due with that color so you know exactly what you have due and for which class. Review all your syllabi and write down any dates for major assignments in advance. Another good way to plan ahead is to set benchmarks for assignments, internship applications, etc. For example, making a reading schedule can be very helpful to avoid having an overload of reading in one night. And, as much as we all slip into it from time to time, make this semester’s goal to procrastinate less and beat the stress by working on assignments day by day.

2. Find a sleeping schedule that works and stick to it

Getting told to “get enough sleep” can be kind of repetitive, but the necessity of sleep should never be underestimated. Having at least a rough schedule is a way to make sure you get enough sleep, while also getting everything done and establishing a circadian rhythm. A good tip is to see if you’re a “night owl” or “morning person” and to try to work your school schedule around that as much as you can. Also, don’t be afraid of taking a nap – according to Time Magazine, naps can be beneficial, especially on a regulated basis. To become an “expert napper,” take 15 minute power naps here and there and see how it feels first- for many this boost of energy maybe better than reaching for coffee.

3. Take time for yourself and for self-care

When you’re trying to figure out whether you should take those extra credits or not, it may seem hard to focus on anything besides school. However, it’s always important to take time and do something you love and that relaxes you. Whether it’s painting, reading, trying out a new bath bomb, etc., we all need something in our free time that helps us wind down. If exercise is your thing, research shows being active improves mood and helps reduce stress (Mayoclinic).

4. Create a calming playlist to relax and study to

Studies at Duke University show that music, especially classical music, helps relax listeners and can be a great study aid. Whether you like Mozart or Mumford & Sons, any music that calms you could be a great soundtrack to write papers to.

5. Start a journal

According to the Huffington Post, keeping a journal can help you achieve your goals, stimulate memory and comprehension, and even boost your mood. Writing a little each day can also be a way to organize your thoughts and writing can be a great release during stressful times.

6. Don’t be afraid to reach out for help

It’s no question that we all experience stress in our lives. However, we don’t have to deal with it alone. Often when we reach out to others, we realize we are not alone in our worries and that we have all been in similar shoes. When times seem especially tough, finding support and asking for advice with friends, family, and campus resources can be a beneficial way to manage stress.

7. Take a deep breath

Even if it’s just a few minutes each day, take time to wind down and reflect. Many find that meditation and breathing exercises can help relieve stress, and just taking a little time to relax can help clear your head even during a busy time. Even if something seems impossible to complete, there is always a way. It’s important that we realize our own role in our stress, and how stress itself may amplify what the situation actually is. Sometimes all we need is to stay positive, to reflect and to take pride in our achievements, and to take a deep breath even when things seem rough.

While stress in school is unavoidable, there are steps we can take each day to help deal with it or even prevent it. By starting off the semester with good habits that diminish stress, it will not only make the transition into the semester easier, but also make the rest of the term much more manageable so you can keep slaying all of Spring 2017.  

Julia Tache

Columbia Barnard '19

Surviving the big city through caffeine.