This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Though I’m dreaming of spring break, I have to face the facts – I’m still in the city, and it’s still freezing cold (at least for now.) The time period from November-March in New York is perpetually cold, ranging from “chilly” to “oh my God I might curl up and die of hypothermia right here, right now.” Until we all thaw out, it’s important to make sure we’re doing everything we can to stay healthy – even though the winter wants to bring us down! For me, that means taking care of my skin; we tend to get really dry skin in the cold weather, so it’s important to exfoliate, moisturize, and use natural products to keep our skin in tip-top shape so we can show it off in the sping! Here are some tips to keeping your dry skin healthy:

1. Put on lotion before you go out

If you’re putting on lotion or face cream at night before you go to bed, but not in the morning before you head out, you’re doing it wrong. Face creams and lotion can not only help keep moisture in, but they keep the wind and cold from cracking skin and causing redness or additional damage. Find a lotion you like and stick to it!

2. Shower with lukewarm water

You may be tempted to use the hottest water you can get when you come in from outside, but this strips your skin of its natural oils! Shower with lukewarm water instead to avoid drying out your skin.

3. Get a humidifier

This one is simple – sleep with a humidifier in your room. It will help you breathe better and keep your skin fresh, moisturized, and glowing

4. Drink water

Since your skin is drier than usual, the easiest way to combat this is with water! Drink your daily dose – 8 cups – to make up for lost moisture.

5. Use natural and gentle lotions/face creams

Heavy creams that are alcohol based can dry out your skin (yes, alcohol dries out your skin, so stay away from super strong face washes as well!!!), and petrolium or mineral-oil based lotions will sit on the surface of your skin but aren’t absorbed. Your best bet is a natural oil or treatment like coconut oil, jojoba oil, cocoa butter, aloe, or shea.

6. Exfoliate

This is key to preserving moisture – if you’re just applying lotion on top of dead and flaky skin, you’re not doing yourself any favors. Whatever you do, do not peel flaky skin; this can cause damage and scarring. Instead, try a DIY exfoliating treatment when you’re in the shower, like coconut oil and brown sugar or olive oil and oatmeal! 

Sofia Lyons

Columbia Barnard

I'm a first year student at Barnard and aspiring fashion journalist, hoping to bring my fellow collegiettes some style tips & info about upcoming trends! I also love singing/songwriting, dancing, event planning, community service, eating good food, and exploring NYC.