This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Vanilla Scents

1. Black Opium by Yves Saint Laurent $76-$155

Having notes of coffee, vanilla, pear blossom, and white flower, this perfume presents the perfect warm, mature perfume you’ve been searching for. Black Opium is by far the best perfume I have owned in my life—it’s perfect to be worn during the evening. 

2. Ari by Ariana Grande $44-$64

Ari by Ariana Grande has notes of pear, grapefruit, vanilla orchid, and blonde woods. This perfume is the perfect blend of sweet and floral, and it’s long-lasting without being too overpowering. Having a bright, fresh tone, Ari by Ariana Grande is best worn during the daylight hours. 

3. Juliette Has a Gun $100-$135

Juliette Has a Gun is characterized by notes of sea salt, vanilla, and sandalwood. This perfume is a cult-favorite for having a beachy feel, while smelling warm and clean at the same time. Juliette Has a Gun is a must-have for the summertime!

4. Flowerbomb by Viktor&Rolf $85-$165

At first opening, Flowerbomb has subtle traces of mandarin and patchouli, leading into bursts of vanilla, praline, rose, and jasmine. Flowerbomb’s warm undertones makes it a perfect nighttime perfume—and it lasts for hours!

Spicy Scents

1. Chai Épicé by Urban Outfitters $18

Chai Épicé draws you in with bursts of chai, fig, musk, and blonde wood. Chai Épicé is absolutely worth the purchase, considering it lasts for hours at a time and has a very far throw—compliments are guaranteed!

2. Santal Blush by Tom Ford $230

Santal Blush pulls you in with a fusion of sandalwood and ylang-ylang, and is enchanted with notes of cinnamon and eastern spices. Having earthy and woody tones, this perfume is warm and mysterious, while being soft and subtle enough for everyday wear.

3. Glossier You by Glossier $60

Glossier You is unique in the respect that it blends a warm, spicy, and creamy base with your natural skin chemistry to create a scent that’s completely unique and personal. I would recommend this for anyone who is just starting to experiment with fragrance and has yet to find their signature scent.

4. Twilly d’Hermès by Hermès $80-$134

Twilly d’Hermès by Hermès is the perfect marriage of ginger, tuberose, and sandalwood. Having both warm and spicy notes, this perfume is meant to be worn on a night out in the city.

5. Coco by Chanel $105

The critically acclaimed Coco by Chanel combines touches of ylang-ylang, orange blossom, patchouli, and tonka. If you like Santal Blush by Tom Ford and citrus-based perfumes, you’ll love Coco by Chanel. 

Fruity and Floral Scents

1. Chance by Chanel $62-$115

Another masterful Chanel perfume is Chance. Chance is a bright, clean perfume whose key notes are jasmine, rose, teakwood, and citron. One word to describe this perfume would be “dazzling.”

2. Viva La Juicy by Juicy Couture $58-$99

If you’re anything like me, Viva La Juicy by Juicy Couture is one of those perfumes you stole from your mom’s vanity when you were a kid. Viva La Juicy is a lively fragrance that blends wild berries, honeysuckle, gardenia, vanilla, and praline to create an intoxicating, universally flattering scent that will last all day. 

3. Mon Paris by Yves Saint Laurent $76-$126

Mon Paris by Yves Saint Laurent is a sophisticated fragrance that draws you in with strawberry, pear, orange flower, jasmine, crystal moss, and ambrox. Its delicate nature makes it perfect to wear during the morning hours and into the evening. 

4. Sì Fiori by Giorgio Armani $70-$126

Last but not least is Sì Fiori by Giorgio Armani. With the brand’s intention of promoting self-confidence, this perfume was developed with tones of black currant, mandarin, vanilla, white musk, and rose.

Lauren Jones

Columbia Barnard '23

Hey! My name is Lauren and I'm majoring in Biology. When I'm not studying, I can be found reading, going to concerts, or impulse buying clothes.