stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

A Fiber Revolution: What You Need to Know About the F-Factor Diet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Diets are a sensitive topic in today’s age with issues regarding body image and eating disorders. The F-Factor diet takes a new approach to healthy living; it doesn’t promote deprivation or unhealthy eating patterns. This is your guide to the ins and outs of this fiber revolution!

What is the F-Factor diet?

“F-Factor” is nutritionist Tanya Zuckerbrot’s meal program that stresses fiber as the key to weight loss. The “F” in F-Factor stands for “fiber.” Zuckerbrot found that fiber works like a sponge in your body; once digested, it absorbs fat and calories before your body can absorb them. 

What kind of foods can I eat on this diet?

The best part about this diet is that no food is off-limits! F-Factor recommends eating 35 grams for women and 38 grams for men of fiber each day. You should strive for high-protein, high-fiber meals and drink tons of water (since it helps aid digestion). Dining out? No problem! Almost every menu has F-Factor options — aim for protein and veggies. Dessert? No deprivation here! You can have your cake and eat it too. Zuckerbrot recommends the “three-bite rule.” Your first and last bites are the ones you remember most, not the ones in between. So when it comes to indulging, stick to three bites and you’ll feel satisfied.

Do I need to see a nutritionist in order to follow the plan?

No! The F-Factor book has all you need to know. Plus, there are tons of Instagram accounts with yummy F-Factor approved recipes. Some of my favorites are: The Healthy Addiction, The Fiber Kitchen, and F-Factor Amigas. There is also a free F-Factor Journal App app that lets you journal your daily fiber intake, which makes the plan super easy to follow. I would like to mention, though, that you should speak with a health professional if you have any stomach or digestion issues, as those can be affected by fiber.

Are there any F-Factor food products available?

Yes! F-Factor makes fiber-protein powders and protein bars that can be purchased on their website. There are tons of recipes that use the F-Factor protein powders. There are three flavors: chocolate, vanilla, and unflavored. The chocolate and vanilla powders are commonly used for shakes, waffles, and desserts. The new unflavored powder is used in so many savory recipes; it adds bulk to recipes without the added calories.

What else should I know about the diet?

If you live in New York City, head over to Bloomingdales on 59th Street. In their famous cafe on the seventh floor, “Forty Carrots,” there are signature F-Factor smoothies with F-Factor protein powder on the menu! These were only added recently and they are already a hit.

If you do not live in New York City, don’t worry, there are treats for you too! The insanely delicious cake jars called “Jars By Dani” now have F-Factor approved jars. These jars are shipped nationwide so you can try them no matter where you live. Head over to the Jars By Dani Website to check them out. 

The F-Factor diet is popping right now. There is so much hype around the Instagram accounts and they even threw a party when they brought their signature shakes to Forty Carrots. I, however, don’t think that this is such a phase. Their incredible branding and marketings strategies urge me to think that this diet will stick around for a while.

Teri Franco

Columbia Barnard '23

Teri is a First-Year at Barnard who loves trying out healthy recipes and making art on Photoshop. She is interested in Psychology and how it becomes relevant in the business world through marketing and brand strategy. She is so happy to be a part of the HerCampus community and exchange ideas with one another. Check out her personal blog www.terifranco.com