Embrace Spring Trends When It’s Still Chilly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

It’s April, Bacchanal has passed, and the sun is out. In my book, this can only mean one thing: it is Spring. Yet as much as I want to don my best spring dress and strappy wedges, the New York temperatures still haven’t quite gotten the memo, and I’m finding that my “wishful thinking” approach to dressing is leaving me freezing and looking ridiculous. That doesn’t mean, however, that I have to retire my spring clothing in lieu of the same winter sweaters I’ve been wearing since October – where there’s a will, there’s a way! Here are some tips for incorporating spring trends into your outfits, while staying warm until the city heats up.

1. Bright and Light Colors

New Yorkers are in a perpetual state of all-black everything, but if you’re looking for a simple way to bring spring into your outfit, swap out your gray and black sweaters for neons and florals, or rock a bright pair of pants. If bright colors aren’t your thing, you can also lighten up an outfit by opting for white or beige as your neutrals.

2. Change Your Shoes

It may be too cold for sandals, but that doesn’t mean you have to keep wearing winter boots – switch to loafers, ballet flats, white sneakers like Converse or Keds, or even light brown cowboy boots which have a much summery look.

3. Layer Lighter Fabrics

It may be too chilly for nothing more than a light jacket, but by layering lighter fabrics instead of wearing one bulky coat, you can avoid look too stuck in winter. Try a sweater over a button down, a denim jacket over a sweater, or throw on a lightweight floral scarf to keep your neck warm.

Sofia Lyons

Columbia Barnard

I'm a first year student at Barnard and aspiring fashion journalist, hoping to bring my fellow collegiettes some style tips & info about upcoming trends! I also love singing/songwriting, dancing, event planning, community service, eating good food, and exploring NYC.