This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

The concept of being a “main character” has been sweeping not only the social media scene, but also the Gen Z vocabulary for months. TikToks of girls dressed in fashionable outfits, partaking in escapades of all shapes and sizes, seem to be something that most teens have seen at least once. But what is the meaning behind truly being a main character and how can we achieve it ourselves?

Urban Dictionary defines a “main character” as “someone who you can make a movie about and have it be interesting; they are quirky and not basic.” Although the concept is so much more complex than the definition makes it out to be, the definition makes a great baseline description for those in society who identify as main characters. 

People may look at a girl who is bold in her fashion choices with awe as she walks down the streets of New York, sunglasses covering the smize in her eyes. They may think she is the main character. Although she definitely epitomizes this concept, being a main character is merely a mindset. The reality is that everyone can be a main character. 

Think about how you presented yourself to the college admission boards during the fall of your senior year. You made it your priority to stand out. You highlighted your talents and shared a testament to your character in your 650-word personal statement. You promoted yourself and recognized how you specifically were different from every other applicant in that pool. This is main character energy.

Now, in college, you can take that person you painted in that application and thrive with that same attitude of self-appreciation with new friends who do not know of your high school self, or you can recreate yourself. A new main character. Although this concept is more applicable to freshmen, it can definitely be followed by upperclassmen as well.

Learn how to cook. Go thrift shopping to add some flair to your style. Have a photoshoot. Be the main character. It’s only as easy as you make it. So put forth the effort and put the spotlight on yourself. Do things you love. Spend time with people you love. Watch the sunrise. But don’t forget that the best moments are made without a phone in hand, so live in the moment. Breathe in the same air as the others around you. That’s what main characters do. That’s what you must do because you are important and you must live like you are the main character. 

Bella Druckman

Columbia Barnard '24

Hi! My name is Bella Druckman, and I am a freshman at Barnard majoring in English and Human Rights. I’m from Chicago, but love the big city of New York. I love to bake - especially cookies - and share those goodies with my friends. When I’m not taking photos, or crafting, you can find me fighting for social justice or spreading my kindness through the world.