Behind the Scenes at Bacchanal with Allison Malin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Name: Allison Malin

School & Year: CC ’17

What made you want to join the Bacchanal Committee? 

The first thing that sparked my interest in joining the Bacchanal Committee was when I went to the Bacchanal Macklemore headlined my days on campus weekend. That day was so much fun and I knew I wanted to be a part of the group responsible for that event. I also want to go into the music industry after I graduate, and Bacchanal was the club at school I felt lined up most with that goal and where I would be able to really get a glimpse into that world. I’ve also been super into music and concerts for a while now, so I wanted a way to channel that love and passion into extracurricular activity.

What are you most looking forward to this Bacchanal?

I’m most looking forward to spending the day with all of committee and having a great time. Bacchanal is one of the best days of the year, and committee is actually the coolest group of people, I already know its going to be an amazing day! The lineup is also amazing –look up the two openers, Brenmar and Raury, if you haven’t yet, because they’re both incredible– and I know its going to make for a great concert!

How would you describe your taste in music?

My taste is somewhat dependent on the situation I’m in, there’s some stuff I love at parties but would never listen to on my own. If i was giving an overview of my playlist I’d say it has some alternative pop-punk-rock stuff (think All Time Low), some straight up pop, a bunch of indie-synth with other stuff mixed into it, and a few other things. I’d say a lot of what I listen to would fall under pop, indie and/or alternative blended with some other things. I also really value musicians who write their own stuff, so a good chunk of my playlist is bands and solo artists who are heavily involved in the process of creating their own music. 

Favorite artist?

I wouldn’t say I have one favorite artist, that’s actually probably the hardest question you could ask! My top 5 fluctuates weekly, but I’d say my top three right now are Misterwives, Young Rising Sons and Years & Years, with Ryn Weaver and Brandyn Burnette close behind at 4 and 5.

Top song played on your iTunes?

I’m more of a spotify person (college budget ya know?) and it doesn’t track plays, but if I had to guess my most played song is probably something from With Confidence’s EP Youth that came out in 2013. They’ve been a consistent member of my top 10 artists and that EP has some quality songs. Or maybe Love Me Like You Do by Ellie Goulding – 50 Shades may have been awful but the soundtrack has some great stuff!