element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

(Basic) Holidays in NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Whether you’re here with your family, for an internship, with friends, or just here…NYC has incredible holiday cheer. Pretty much everyday from now until a few weeks after we ring in the 2016, you can feel some Santa and hot chocolate in the air just by stepping outside. It hasn’t felt so much like the holidays yet with the recent tropical weather and not even one ounce of snow, but nevertheless, here are some ideas to get into the spirit in NYC this season:

1. FIND A WINTER WONDERLAND PARTY:

Where you might ask? Unclear, but there will be an opportunity for you to dress up like a snowflake and/or jingle bell rock a la Mean Girls.

2. TAKE PICTURES BY SOME HOLIDAY TREES:

Whether it’s THE TREE at Rockefeller Center, the ones right here at school, or one of the other thousand decorated trees in the city, that’s your choice.  But, regardless of which option you choose, the Instagram likes will roll right in.

3. SAMPLE SALES:

Go to sample sales to buy presents for your family and friends (and yourself!). Check websites like Racked NY for the inside scoop on where and when sales happen. See as a great opportunity to get more scarves/gloves/hats.

4. COLUMBUS CIRCLE HOLIDAY MARKET:

They have the cutest tchotchkes and more yummy treats every year!

5. HOT CHOCOLATE:

See Baby, It’s Cold(ish) Outside: Ranking NYC’s Hot Chocolate.

6. GILMORE GIRLS:

Rewatch every holiday episode of Gilmore Girls. You can also interpret this section as “Rewatch every episode of Gilmore Girls ever.”

7. FIFTH AVENUE WINDOW DISPLAYS

They’re pretty cool, and they outdo themselves every year! 

8. ICE SKATE

Go ice skating in Central Park!

9. UNION SQUARE HOLIDAY MARKET

See Columbus Circle Holiday Market

10. FOOTIE PJS

Go online and buy everyone you know footie PJs. They will thank you. Also, maybe go on Etsy and slap a monnogram on some of them.

Sarah Fels

Columbia Barnard