The Album You Need in Your Finals Playlist, According to Your Enneagram Type

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Yes, I know that everyone is classifying themselves by their astrology sign these days. I do not begrudge them; I’m sure I would be as well if I were not the complete opposite of my sign (spontaneous risk-taker? Me?). That being said, I find myself much more drawn to the Enneagram. Consisting of nine types — with wings, if you want a more precise read — the Enneagram classifies basic personality traits. Your type can determine how you perceive the world (thinking, feeling, or instinct) as well as how you cope with negative experiences (through shame, anger, or fear). Today, however, your type is representative of the album you need in your finals playlist this semester.

Ones: John Legend, A Legendary Christmas

Let me explain one thing: I am not here to present the playlist you want, but rather the one you need. And Ones need to let loose. Conscientious to a point of perfectionism, Ones are likely in overdrive during finals season. You want to be the best student you can, producing work so flawless no one can condemn you. I’ve been there. As you’re reading over your paper draft for the fifth time, grab a peppermint mocha, and turn up the holiday tunes. (And hit submit already.) You deserve it.

Twos: Lizzo, Cuz I Love You

Twos, being the loving and supportive friends they are, must be happy with this choice. Cuz I Love You, they think. I love the people in my life, this is perfect! Think again. Twos, I am choosing this album for you because you need some self-love this finals season. I know you never want to be selfish, but dedicating these next few weeks to your success is the best thing for you. Your friends are going to understand; they want you to love yourself as much as you love them. And if anyone knows about self-love, it’s Lizzo.

Threes: Panic! At the Disco, Pray For the Wicked

Finals can be a tough time for Threes. Ambitious and driven by status, Threes cannot think of a worse end to the semester than bad grades. I did not want to give you this one, but I’m genuinely worried that if you are not in the right mindset for your finals, you won’t do well and you will blame me. So, enjoy Brendon Urie rocking out to anthems of success such as, “Hey Look Ma, I Made It” and “High Hopes.” (Also, please remember that academic performance isn’t everything.)

Fours: Taylor Swift, Lover

Fours are very sensitive and self-aware: creative and personal at their best, moody and withdrawn at their worst (and I think finals season is everybody’s worst). I am choosing Lover for you because songs like “Cornelia Street” allow you to indulge your moodiness, while “You Need to Calm Down” is right there to pick you up again.

Fives: Train, Save Me San Francisco

Fives, have you connected with a friend in the past three days? Just checking. When stressed or upset, Fives tend to retreat into their thoughts, isolating themselves from the world. If I were nice, I would give you Hozier or Snow Patrol, so you can indulge that side of you, but that’s not happening. Instead, I think you’re much better off with Train. (It’s true, Soul Sister!) I am quite the introvert myself, but Train has gotten me to attend more concerts than I can count so, hopefully, they can get you out of your cubicle in Milstein, too.

Sixes: Hozier, Wasteland, Baby!

Sixes, finals have me feeling really bad for you. All you want is security and a support system, but Columbia stress culture makes finding that support during this time of year nearly impossible. Therefore, you are the lucky type who gets Hozier. Throughout his entire discography, Hozier is nothing but committed to his baby, and I want that for you.

Sevens: Bleachers, Gone Now

My suspicion is that Sevens do just fine during finals. Constantly busy, yet still spontaneous and high-spirited, you guys are probably the ones who barely go to class yet still pull As on exams. Hey, if it works for you, I’m not going to stop you. Just think of me when you’re jamming out to “Don’t Take the Money” while I’m crying over my flashcards, okay?

Eights: The Jonas Brothers, Happiness Begins

I have to admit: y’all are intimidating. You thrive on being dominant and in control, so you probably won’t take my suggestion, anyway. However, if you’re in a generous mood, try giving Happiness Begins a listen. “Cool” is totally your vibe, and the pure joy that emanates from this album will counteract the murderous rage you feel when your group paper is due tomorrow and your partner still hasn’t started their half.

Nines: Ed Sheeran, ÷

The noise you just heard is me breathing a sigh of relief. Nines, you are so lovely. Accepting, optimistic, and supportive, you are the friend everyone needs during finals. When brainstorming the perfect music for you, “Castle on the Hill” immediately came to mind, followed by “Galway Girl,” followed by “Bibia Be Ye Ye” … What I’m saying is you guys make people feel accepted, happy, and at home. During finals, you’re likely serving as a support system for your friends while procrastinating your own studying. Hopefully, “Shape of You” is just the kick in the butt you need.

Whatever your type, I hope you make the best of your finals season. Grab that holiday latte you’ve been meaning to try (can you tell I love coffee?), walk around Riverside Park, go visit the big Christmas tree. Strike a balance between work and play that suits you. And do it all with a banging playlist by your side.

Collier Curran

Columbia Barnard '20

Collier is a senior at Barnard College who enjoys brunch, playing with cats, and yelling at the TV during episodes of the Great British Baking Show. You can pry em dashes out of her cold, dead hands.