This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

If you’ve been applying for internships, jobs, or graduate school programs recently, you may have been invited for a virtual interview. Virtual interviews combine all of the normal interview stresses — like what you’d say your greatest weakness is — with worries about intrusive family members, low-quality computer microphones, and WiFi glitches. If you’re wondering how to log off feeling like you aced your interview, read on.

Don’t stress about things outside of your control.

Virtual interviews are less than ideal because of just how much can go wrong. Without the availability of libraries or other co-working spaces, applicants are forced to interview in their homes, often containing children, pets, and spotty WiFi. I have designed my tips to focus on circumstances you can control; don’t worry about those that you can’t. If a thunderstorm knocks out your power during the interview, so be it. I guarantee that the interviewer has faced their own challenges while adjusting to work-from-home, and will understand if you are affected by something outside of your control. Therefore, focus your energy on the aspects of the interview for which you can prepare, and leave the rest to fate.

Look as nice as you would for an in-person interview (including shoes).

People love to joke about attending virtual meetings in a blazer, a button-down shirt, and pajama pants. Don’t be one of those people. You may need to leave your chair to retrieve something or to use the bathroom, and you want to look professional from every angle. Dressing well from head to toe also helps with self-confidence and motivation. You will more easily enter the interview headspace when dressing the part. Make your typical interview preparations, from applying makeup to blow-drying your hair, to ensure that you are dressed for success.

Maintain proper etiquette.

When it comes to etiquette, the rules for in-person interviews are clear: eye contact, a firm handshake, and an introduction using your full name. Do not let these habits slip! Make “eye contact” by looking directly into your computer’s camera whenever possible, and clearly state your full name when you first join the video call. Of course, a handshake would be difficult to replicate, but you may choose to substitute with a wave or a question of how the interviewer is handling these recent challenges. 

Additionally, speak slowly and clearly throughout the interview. Computer microphones and speakers make it more difficult to understand people, especially for those who are hard of hearing. Audio can also cut out for a second or two, but if you are speaking slowly, the interviewer will still grasp what you are saying without asking you to repeat it.

Alert those who live with you in advance — and keep alerting them.

I tend not to tell my family about interviews. My mom loves to ask me what I’ll be wearing, to whom I’ll be speaking, and — the worst — how I think it will go. Her interest, while well-intentioned, exponentially increases my performance anxiety. However, when conducting an interview from your home, you must let everyone know. Clearly state the day and time of the interview as well as where you will be sitting. You may also wish to request that family members stay off of their devices to ensure the stability of your WiFi. The interview is an important part of any application process, so do not feel guilty about requesting a quiet and private space.

Type and print out your questions, and keep them next to you.

Every successful interview includes a few thoughtful questions from the applicant. I highly recommend typing out these questions; this ensures that they will be legible. Additionally, typing out questions allows you to easily insert facts and figures about the job or program that you can reference during the interview. Keep these questions and notes nearby. While you are not bound to the questions you brainstormed ahead of time, they are a great resource if you find yourself tongue-tied. 

Use humor if necessary.

When on a video call, it is almost inevitable that something will go awry. Perhaps your dog will start barking, or you will accidentally talk over your interviewer. Feel free to meet these awkward moments with humor. Your interviewer is also adjusting to a life of virtual meetings and will likely appreciate a lighthearted response. Additionally, your reaction to technical difficulties alerts the interviewer to how you will react in other challenging situations. If you acknowledge the issue with a quick joke and move on, you will come across as unflappable and mature.

Don’t forget the thank you note!

A virtual interview is still an interview; be sure to send a thank you note. Because so many people are working from home, a handwritten letter may not be received in time. Instead, send an email to each interviewer — separately — thanking them for their time and briefly reiterating why you are a great fit for the position or program. I recommend setting a reminder on your phone, as you should aim to send the email within 24 hours (or one business day) of the interview.

While virtual interviews come with their own set of challenges, they are remarkably similar to those conducted in person. Whether in an admissions office or over Zoom, an interview is a chance to reveal your personality and talk at greater length about your past academic and professional experiences. Take advantage of this opportunity to humble-brag about yourself while learning more about the company or school to which you are applying. As long as you speak clearly, remain calm, and embrace the awkwardness, you will do just fine.

Collier Curran

Columbia Barnard '20

Collier is a senior at Barnard College who enjoys brunch, playing with cats, and yelling at the TV during episodes of the Great British Baking Show. You can pry em dashes out of her cold, dead hands.