This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

It’s no secret that this year has been more stressful and chaotic than any other year in a while. With Thanksgiving around the corner, it can be easy to feel as though there aren’t too many reasons to be thankful, or it can be hard to focus on being thankful in a time of so much division, anxiety, and loss. It can be tough to counter these feelings, but one great way to do so is through journaling and reflecting on what you’re thankful for this year and why. While it can also be hard to find the time to journal (especially if you are not an avid writer), you can take some of these ideas and work on them with family and friends or spend some time going over your answers in your mind to have some sort of closure with everything that’s transpired this year. With that said, here are six writing prompts and journaling ideas that will get you inspired for Thanksgiving this year.

“What are some things you lost this year? What are some things you gained? What have you learned from gaining these things?”

In a year in which so much loss has happened, these losses shouldn’t be ignored in your life. Whether you lost out on going to campus, graduation, or a birthday, or if you lost someone close to you, taking the time to reflect on this is better than holding it in for too long. It is okay and valid to have feelings of loss and grief and frustration at this time. But if you pay attention, there are probably other great things that have happened for you this year. Maybe you got a new dog, made some new friends, or had a new experience. Did you learn anything from gaining something new in a time of loss? Does it make you more hopeful or calm? These can all be important things to consider if you choose to elaborate on this prompt, either by yourself or with others.

“Is there someone you wish you could talk to right now? Write out what you would say to them.”

This year has also been a true test of many different kinds of relationships. There’s been so much distance (literally and figuratively), and maybe there’s someone you haven’t spoken to for some time, no matter the circumstance. Who is someone you miss? Who is someone you wish you could sit next to right now and share some company? Who do you want to watch a movie with right now if you could? Maybe you won’t see this person at Thanksgiving this year, but what would you say to them if they were at your table? The holidays are perhaps one of the most common times to reflect on people we love and miss, which can be even harder this year, so take some time to really catch up!

“What is something that happened this year that you don’t want to happen next year? What do you want to keep?”

This question can be taken in any context you choose. Maybe something on a larger scale happened this year that you want to change, like the violent cases of police brutality and displays of racism that have occurred, making you want to jot down some ways you can be an activist in the future. Or maybe you noticed you have a tendency to procrastinate more with virtual school, so you may decide to jot down some ideas on time management for finals and the upcoming semester. Whatever you choose, solidify one or a few things you are sure about leaving or taking into the new year and reflect on why you feel the way you do about these things.

Plan with Me November Bullet Journal Setup from SheDoodles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY1_YicxAT8

If you are someone who loves maintaining a bullet journal, then maybe you’re looking for some new inspiration this month. This video from SheDoodles has a great bullet journal spread for November, especially if you need a new way to plan out the build-up to finals this semester. Check it out if you’re in search of something fun and new for your bullet journal!

7 Fun & Useful Thanksgiving Bullet Journal Pages from Masha Pages

Now, maybe you don’t need inspiration for a whole month of bullet journaling but you want a couple of ideas to help make your month of journaling more proactive. In that case, check out this video from Masha Pages in which she goes over several different pages that are useful and fun just for Thanksgiving.

How to Start a Gratitude Journal You’ll Actually Keep from Caren Baginski

Whether you consistently use a journal or not, taking the time to reflect and write out your thoughts this Thanksgiving may push you to keep a gratitude journal in the future. Although this year has been especially hard for so many people, it has also given many the time to reflect on what is good and what they still have. If you find that reflecting on prompts like these are something you want to continue in the future, check out this video from Caren Baginski. In this video, Baginski shares a thorough guide for the beginner wanting to create and maintain their very own gratitude journal. If you’re open to the idea, check it out for yourself!

Of course, since this Thanksgiving is not going to be like past Thanksgivings, it can be easy to focus on the things you don’t have this year. But hopefully, these prompts and journal ideas remind you that there is always something to be grateful for, no matter the circumstances. Happy journaling and happy Thanksgiving!

Caroline Val

Columbia Barnard '24

Caroline is a first-year at Barnard hoping to major in Psychology and English with a concentration in Film Studies. When not advocating for mental health awareness, she's also extremely involved in all things theatre, film, and writing (especially poetry). She can be reached on Instagram @cxrol.v!