5 Recipes You Need to Stress-Bake This Midterm Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

While October means crunchy leaves and pumpkin spice lattes, it also signifies the midway point of the semester (read: midterm exams and papers galore). Whether you got off easy with one paper or are finding yourself cramming for five exams, stress relief is key. Baking is the perfect balance between a physical task which demands one’s full attention, and a relaxing way to spend an afternoon or evening. Obviously, there is also the bonus of getting to enjoy the fruits of your labor, and to share baked goods with friends and roommates. Here are five of the best fall recipes to make in your suite or apartment.

1. Small-batch pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting

If you live alone or with only one roommate, small-batch recipes are ideal; you can have the relaxing experience of measuring ingredients and putting batter in the oven without lots of dishes to wash and too many leftovers. Specifically, small-batch pumpkin cupcakes fulfill the cravings for moist, spicy cake and fluffy cream cheese frosting without the waste (or, let’s be real—without the pressure to simply eat them all yourself).

Recipe tip: Make sure the butter and cream cheese for the frosting are completely room temperature so they combine easily, and do not forget to add salt to cut the sweetness!

2. Chocolate turtle apple slices

For those who are beginner bakers, these chocolate turtle apple slices are the perfect midterms snack. The only necessary ingredients are apples, chocolate chips, coconut oil, soft caramel candies (or caramel sauce) and chopped pecans or walnuts. This recipe is also fully customizable. Allergic to nuts? Cover your apples with sprinkles or crushed Oreos instead. Not a caramel fan? Just use milk chocolate, or drizzle with melted white chocolate chips.

Recipe tip: Don’t have a kitchen? Melt both the chocolate chips and the caramel in the microwave!

3. Fall fruit dip

Dips have some of the easiest recipes to follow, but are still so versatile! This fall dip featuring cream cheese, vanilla yogurt, honey and fall spices would pair perfectly with apple slices, crackers, oatmeal and even frozen waffles. Honey could also be used in place of maple syrup for even more fall flavor.

Recipe tip: Feel free to substitute the spices listed for pre-combined pumpkin pie spice (for the right amount, simply add up the total amount of spice in the recipe)!

4. Never-fail biscuits

These three (yes, three!) ingredient biscuits hail from one of the best resources for bakers on the internet today: King Arthur Flour. Headquartered in Norwich, VT (about seven minutes from the campus of Dartmouth College), KAF sells its famous flours and baking mixes in grocery stores across the country, including Morton Williams and Westside. These specific biscuits use self-rising flour, which eliminates the need for yeast and allows for a fluffy and delicious biscuit. These biscuits are perfect with any type of fall soup, or even a Sweetgreen salad (because it’s all about balance).

Recipe tip: Feel free to add shredded cheddar cheese or salt and pepper to these biscuits for more flavor.

5. Cinnamon apple chips

If you’re looking for a health-conscious snack (that also happens to be vegan!), look no further than cinnamon apple chips. Thinly sliced apples coated with cinnamon and sugar and baked for two to three hours yield crunchy chips with a distinct fall flavor perfect for long hours in Milstein. Add nutmeg and allspice (or pumpkin pie spice) for a more intense chip, and if you’re a bit more daring, try dunking these in the fall fruit dip!

Recipe tip: Watching your sugar intake? Toss apples in cinnamon and an alternative sweetener of your choice (Splenda, Stevia, etc.) or coat with just cinnamon.

Collier Curran

Columbia Barnard '20

Collier is a senior at Barnard College who enjoys brunch, playing with cats, and yelling at the TV during episodes of the Great British Baking Show. You can pry em dashes out of her cold, dead hands.