Life > Academics

4 Tips and Tricks to Thrive During this Registration Period

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Registration for classes for the fall semester is just around the corner. To be honest, I am still in utter shock at how fast this academic year flew by. And, once again, here we are: registration week. The week where we fight with our fellow classmates to snatch a place in our favorite classes or simply in classes that fit our schedule perfectly. Because we understand how stressful registration week can be, here are some tips and tricks to thrive during this period:

Check your requirements

While you may be excited to register for classes that are appealing to you and compatible with your interests, it’s important to keep in mind that there are some requirements that need to be fulfilled for you to graduate. Whether it is Columbia College’s Core Curriculum or Barnard’s Foundations, keep these requirements in mind when choosing your next schedule. After all, it would be rather unfortunate if you were not able to graduate because you’re missing that lovely Physical Education class. 

have backup classes

Registration can be brutal. While you may be settled about wanting to take some specific classes, make sure to have a backup plan (especially if you are an underclassman). If you don’t get into your first choice, you won’t want to lose time looking for other options. Registration can sometimes feel like a competition, so prepare for the race in advance and have alternate courses to beat the system. We know you really want to take “Earth, Moon, and Planets” for your science requirement, but you are not the only one with that desire. I’m sure there are a lot of other options out there to choose from, so stay on the lookout! 

Don’t doubt to Reach out

We all have been assigned an academic advisor to help us whenever we are having problems. It is their job to facilitate this often frustrating process for us, so even if you think that no one can help you or that your question is too insignificant, there is no harm in reaching out. I am more than positive that your advisor will be more than happy to help you out. 

Don’t Be afraid to explore

Make the most of those credits. There’s a high chance you’ll find something you are absolutely passionate about if you don’t already know what that is, but that won’t happen  so  long as you don’t explore your interests by taking  different classes. College is the perfect time for that! Even if it doesn’t work out, there’s always the option to drop it throughout the shopping period. At least, you’ll know that you tried.

Happy registration period! And good luck. :)